Earthing Cooker Back Box

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Random question, I'm renewing a Cooker switch and a Cooker outlet plate, neither of the back boxes are not earthed (both metal).
It states in some q&a there's no need to earth the back box.
6.00mm Cooker cable has an earth of 2.5mm, could I use a length of 2.5mm cable stripped of it's sheathing and sleeved with earthing sleeve?
I'm only needing 2 short lengths for the back boxes.
Any advice appreciated please.
Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Random question, I'm renewing a Cooker switch and a Cooker outlet plate, neither of the back boxes are not earthed (both metal).
If all of the following are true.

* the electrical accessory has an earth connection to the screwholes (other than plastic lightswitches and some modular products, most do)
* the backbox has at least one fixed lug (most boxes have one fixed one movable).
* the earth is supplied by a wire to the accessory.

Then the backbox is deemed to be earthed by the fixing screws and an earth link is not required. Some electricans put one in anyway, but by doing so they are going above and beyond what is required.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back