Earthing Metal Back Boxes- what size cable to use ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,
Does anyone know when you earth a metal back box if it matter what size earth cable you use ?

For sockets I tend to use 2.5mm but should anything different be used for sockets that will take larger cable e.g. a 45amp switch for a cooker or Shower ?

Sponsored Links
Yes I have noticed that the connector in the back box doesnt take very large cables..so I was wondering if there was some regulations that stated what has to be used or if it does really matter as long as the back box is earthed. So 2.5mm is ok for any back box ?

Sponsored Links
I do not recall any specific regulations, in fact, the back box does not need o be earthed if one lug is fixed.

As good practice I always earth the back box, however.

I use conductor sized at least that of the cable. So for 2.5mm T&E use minimum 1.5mm fly lead. I have a reel of 2.5mm single green&yellow and tend to use that as it is multicore (so flexible) and comes ready sleeved!

Planemad's reply was what I assume is the most common DIY way of doing this.

Just use the earth/cpc core from in a bit of 2.5mm T/E cable & G?Y sleeve it.
Unless you also have some G/Y cable then surely this should be fine.

If the box isn't accessable and it is sunk into the wall, it has one fixed lug and there is the facility on the accessory to earth it then the link may be ommitted, however just for old time sake I tend to put them in anyway. Just use a piece of 1.5mm earth stripped from 2.5mm twin and earth.

If the box is accessable such as a metal clad one then the link must be installed. The link can be sized using the adiabatic equation which is the reason a 1.5mm CPC is allowed in a circuit protected by a 32A MCB.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back