Need to earth back boxes? Earth sleeves etc.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Do I need to earth the back boxes in a new ring main? And do I need to sleeve the earth cables (regardless of wether or not the boxes need earthing)?
Thank you.

Sponsored Links
1508157397184525971330.jpg

There isn't any power being supplied to that room at the moment, I just want to get the 5 sockets in the room connected to one another. They won't be connected to the house mains for a while yet.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Do you know what you are doing?
I think we know the answer to that.

Who designed and installed the cables? They will be able to tell you.

But, to be more helpful, if the boxes have one fixed lug, then it is not strictly necessary to run the earth to the back box. But it is good practice to do so.
And of course, the bare earth wires must be appropriately sleeved with green&yellow sleeving.

Once you have carried out the socket installation, who will carry out the necessary tests before they are connected to the consumer unit?

PPS It is a ring final ciruit. Ring mains tend to have water in them.

Thank you, green/yellow sleeves all round it is then.

I have a new CU going in soon, in the room next door. The spark can look it over then.

Last edited:
It seems that the front plate screws will earth the back box automatically, but best practice says put in another earth to the screw fitting in the back box.
That's correct. Be aware that the same is not usually true of plastic switches (like light switches), since they have no earth connection, so cannot earth a back box via faceplate screws.

Kind Regards, John

I was referring to the OP's question. Which clearly referred to wiring inside the house.
That was the nature of my reply.

I'd have said that the homeowner is the employer, and therefore has the shout.

You obviously seem to know how it all goes together so next time the opporunity comes up have a go at running the cables as well. It's a piece of p1ss. What's the going rate for a socket now, over £100? If I can you can.

Separate issue but those KOs are quite proud of the plaster. You might be ok with basic white plastic sockets but anything beyond that and they’re gonna look naff.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back