Need to earth back boxes? Earth sleeves etc.

I did do the chasing out, put the boxes & cables in before the plasterer (and the floor joists below the temp. ply floor, and the drawings for the council). The deep back boxes are a mil or two proud but the plastic sockets sit nicely over them, it'll be an awful struggle:) but they'll do.

I'll be plumbing the rads in too. If you do the prep, then flashing a few joints is a doddle.

What is it with the letter P?
Sparks have Part P, Plumbers have their Patron Saint Prescott...

Sponsored Links
FYI part P is a building reg, not something dreamt up by anybody in the trade. As for following advice given by hawkeye the next P you may meet is St. Peter.

Sponsored Links
They are appalling screwdrivers and not a definitive test. If a current is indicated, you may not be altogether sure where it's coming from, granted.

Last edited:
If a current is indicated, then it is travelling through YOU. That's why I'm concerned for anybody who uses one of those.

I have certainly been the recipient of some staggering quotes arising from both Part P and John Prescott.
Well - JP has certainly said some bizarre things, what with language not being his first language.

But Part P is a Building regulation - how can it say anything?

They do not indicate current. They may possibly indicate a voltage of some sort.
I think that is verging on quibbling, so I'll add a little more ... they may be intended to detect voltage, but what they actually 'indicate' is when current is flowing through the neon - and, whilst the amount of current involved is tiny and of no consequence, it was the fact that the same current would also be flowing through part of the user's body that TTC was wanting to make.

Kind Regards, John

I think that is verging on quibbling, so I'll add a little more ... they may be intended to detect voltage, but what they actually 'indicate' is when current is flowing through the neon
FGS.

Well, in that case, if that's what you want to argue, then according to you there is not one single indicator lamp anywhere in the world, not has there ever been, nor can there ever be, which indicates anything other than current flowing through it.

A voltmeter does not indicate voltage, it indicates current flowing through the meter.

The speedometer in your car does not indicate speed, it indicates a pointer moving around a dial.

FGS - what is wrong with you?

If a current is indicated, then it is travelling through YOU. That's why I'm concerned for anybody who uses one of those.

Also they can glow when touching an Earth or Neutral if the person using it is close to a Live cable ( switch drop for example ) and NOT glow when touching a Live conductor.

They can give fatally inaccurate indications.

A voltmeter does not indicate voltage, it indicates current flowing through the meter
For the majority of meters that is true.

There are ways to measure voltage that depend on no current flowing in the meter. But if little if any use in electrical installations.

which indicates anything other than current flowing through it.

Lamps do have current flowing, but there are indicators that indicate by using electrostatic forces, no perceivable current flows other than that required to charge the capacitance of the indicator.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back