Need to earth back boxes? Earth sleeves etc.

FYI part P is a building reg, not something dreamt up by anybody in the trade. As for following advice given by hawkeye the next P you may meet is St. Peter.

Come now, you run a cable from one socket to the other, it's not rocket science. The fear mongering is tiresome. We all know how easy it is, if a spark gets offended because I can do their job, why come to a diy forum at all, just to slag off home diyers? Makes no sense, unless of course there are sparks here trying to pick up work with their constant put downs, and ''I'm better than you'' mentality.

Anyway, hiring someone from derry to do electrical work is a risk in itself :mrgreen:

Sponsored Links
Well, the site is called diyNOT.

And when I took the old ceilling eyeballs out (horrid things, can't put insulation over them) I used the existing cables for the new lights.

And the 'wrought iron' Juliette rail outside that door, I made that too.

Last edited:
For the majority of meters that is true.

There are ways to measure voltage that depend on no current flowing in the meter. But if little if any use in electrical installations.

Lamps do have current flowing, but there are indicators that indicate by using electrostatic forces, no perceivable current flows other than that required to charge the capacitance of the indicator.
Don't you start as well.

This is bonkers, utterly utterly bonkers.

Claiming that a device which indicates some condition or other doesn't in fact indicate it because of how the indicating device produces indication when the condition triggers its operation.

Bonkers, utterly utterly bonkers.

Sponsored Links
FGS.

I have one of those electric twin-plate griddles.

When it gets to temperature a little green light comes on.

That green light is indicating that it has got to temperature. To start arguing that "no it doesn't, it indicates that current is flowing through the light" is bonkers. Utterly utterly bonkers.

What's wrong with you?

To the op, earth wires must be terminated in all back boxes, whether they are steel or plastic is irrelevant. Plate fixing screws are not an acceptable method of earthing back boxes or metallic plates.

There is NO must about it. Please quote the regulation number to support your assertion.
It is good practice, and not required if the back box has at least one fixed lug..

I don't play with the safety of others, Explain what happens when some replaces the metal screws with nylon screws.

The socket is earthed. Because that's where the earth wires go.
The back box is not an extraneous conductive part (its buried in the plaster). It is necessary for metal surface sockets etc (eg metalclad), but not otherwise.

Don't tell me that you go around removing socket fronts with the power still switched on?:rolleyes:

Regulation number please, or change your must to "it's a good idea".

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back