Cooker Wiring query

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Had a new cooker dual fuel fitted yesterday. I did some of the work myself and it seems to work OK but I am now worried that I may have done it wrong.

The power flex coming out of the back of the cooker was about 18 inches too short to reach the existing cooker power supply unit, which is fitted into the wall above the cooker recess.

The fitter who connected the gas up recommended getting round this by using an extra length of cable and a 13-amp junction box, feeding the power cable from the cooker into the box and joining it from there to the existing cooker box with the new cable, which I did.

The cable coming out of the back of the cooker is 2.5mm diameter.

However, the extra cable I have used to go from the junction box to the existing cooker box is 6mm - recommended by the shelf-edge information at my local B&Q as being suitable for fitting cookers.

Will the discreprancy in the cable size between the 2.5mm coming out of the back of the cooker and the 6mm going from the junction box to the cooker unit on the wall cause any problems? I figured that erring on the side of a more powerful, thicker cable would be OK.

Thanks in advance for any advice you can offer.

Sponsored Links
the 6mm cable is suitable for electric cookers which typically take about 30Amps.

If your dual-fuel cooker has a gas hob and a single electric oven it probably takes about 10Amps and would be happy on a 13A plug.

Using thicker cable will do no harm except that it might not fit the connector you use.

If you look at the cooker where the cable goes in, you may find it has a simple connector block under a plastic cover. If so, you could fit a new, longer cable to it without fiddling around with joins.

Your cooker needs to be protected by a 13A fuse. Is it on a 30A cooker circuit with no plug?

Hi John D, thanks for the reply.

Would never have thought to connect a different lead to the cooker itself.

The cooker actually has a double oven - it's a 90cm-range type thing, and there's a 13A fuse in the junction box.

I think it is on a 30A circuit, from looking at the main consumer unit, and there is also a plug socket on the cooker power supply box.

Sponsored Links
What does the ratings plate say is the maximum wattage?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back