NEW FLAT ROOF : GENERAL INFO REGARDING INSULATION

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

There are dormer windows on my father's house, which was originally a bungalow.

The construction was 'traditional' with rafters running from steel beams near the ridge to the window line. Chipboard decking was then fitted and 2 layers of felt stuck on top. Before the builder put on the fascia I actually squashed in fibreglass insulation into the gaps, trying to get as much in as I could. I worked on the principle : the more insulation the better.

Well, that was about 20 years ago and the roof has now started to leak. On inspection, the board in 2 spots seems spongy, so obviously it is time for the full replacement.

Not a cheap job, but worthy I am sure

On checking web sites, it seems that you are supposed to have a 50mm gap on top of the insulation, for ventilation to prevent condensation.

Now to be perfectly honest, this was not done before and there has never been a condensation problem so far.

Any advice would be appreciated, as obviously I want the job to be done right, coupled to it being economically the best option, with regards to insulation.

If jamming ther insulation in worked before, surely it would work again.

Do you need a waterproof membrane, there wasn't one before

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
wbmkk said:
Well, that was about 20 years ago and the roof has now started to leak. On inspection, the board in 2 spots seems spongy, so obviously it is time for the full replacement.
That what chipboard do, like weetabix! Should really use exterior (WPB) plywood
On checking web sites, it seems that you are supposed to have a 50mm gap on top of the insulation, for ventilation to prevent condensation.
It's best to use a wide batten in opposite direction of the joists then board it over to allow cross air flow from joist to joist.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back