New Flat Roof in 1 Day.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I currently have a flat roof that is 38 years old and needs to be stripped down and re-decked (inc firings.)

I have had 4 quotes done but need advice on the roofer that I have chosen!

All 3 roofers have quoted that the job will take 3-4 days to complete...... however the roofer that i have chosen has quoted to do the job in 1 day!

I would like to know if it is possible to strip off the old decking, firings and felt, lay new firings, new decking and a 2 layers of touch-on felt within a day (around 8 to 10hours!)

Do you need to allow 24 hours for the underlay to set before laying the top cap sheet? (or is it better to lay the top cap sheet under newly laid underlay?)

I am hoping if it was done within 10 hours, that the underlay and top cap sheet won’t be defected in anyway.

Has anyone laid new decking and a 2 layer felt system within a day?

I’ve attached a diagrammed of my roof with measurements and what I need (and don’t need!)

Could you do this within a day?

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
I can't see that being done [properly] in a day.

What about the insulation and building control?

Building Control? Doesn't the person that I get to do the job say weather or not its good enough? Building Control is new to me! Do I have to pay for this? Is Building Control the local council? :confused:

It is ONLY the outside I need doing....... the inside is so bad, I starting from scratch!

I am putting up new insulation, new plasterboards, skimming and painting.

Sponsored Links
Roof replacement=renovation of a thermal element and is notifiable work (main thing bc are interested in is insulation, though they may cast an eye over the rest of the job). If you're planning on selling soon then lack of building regs may bite you (on the sellers questionnaire when it asks about recent works).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back