New floor height will not match height of the existing floor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am undertaking a garage conversion and have a problem with floor levels. There will be two entrances into the converted garage from two different rooms (one to the side, one to the rear). However, the floor in the rear room (Floor A) is 30mm higher than the floor on the side room (Floor B).

What is the best solution to overcoming this issue? I believe my options are:

a) Slope the new floor in the garage to meet the height of the two existing floors. Would 3cm over a span of 3 metres be noticeable when walked on and when furniture is positioned?
b) Create the new floor at the height of one of the existing floors and create a 3cm step in the door to the other floor.
c) Install the new floor at a height in between the existing floors (i.e. 15mm lower than Floor A and 15mm higher than Floor B).

Which solution, or any others, would be most suitable?

Sponsored Links
(b) is dangerous; (c) is twice as dangerous ; (a) might be noticeable but probably not dangerous.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back