New flooring layers (incl UFH) from joists up?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all.

I’m planning a refurb of a Victorian conversion in London. I won’t be doing the work myself, but keen to understand some of the essentials, also for budgeting purposes, so any info would be much appreciated!

I’ll be redoing the floors completely – at the moment there is bamboo finished floor laid above a very thin underlay, above original floorboards which are (presumably) nailed to the joists below. If relevant, there is one flat below mine.

The original floorboards are beyond repair (and have come loose in many areas), so I plan to rip everything up. I also plan to use wet underfloor heating (something like ProWarm or Warmup). I’m trying to figure out the various “layers”, materials etc!

My guess is: mineral wool between the joists / plywood or chipboard base / UFH pipes laid into floating panels / low tog underlay with vapour membrane / engineered floor. Is that accurate? Instead of using the mineral wool insulation, can I use a thicker acoustic or cement-impregnated chipboard/plywood base? I’d like to improve the airborne noise for the benefit of the flat below (having had problems myself with the flat above, I don’t want the family below me to suffer), but there’s obviously a cost consideration too.

Hopefully that’s enough info, any advice/suggestions would be great!

Marc

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back