Sound insulation for raised ground floor flat

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I am planning to lay wide board engineered oak flooring in my new flat. The building is an old house conversion so has never been insulated properly. The flat below have complained about noise (the old owner never insulated and there are currently carpets, laid on top of original pine floorboards) but are happy for me to lay wood floors as long as the floor is sound insulated properly. They are willing to split the sound insulation costs.

I was thinking about uplifting the floorboards, and insulating the area with 100mm acoustic mineral wool. After refitting the floorboards and plying the area, was looking at laying 7mm fibreboard and a high grade adhesive underlay.

What are your thoughts on the effectiveness of this method? Should I be looking at using something else? As the cost will be split we don't mind spending a little more just to ensure it is done properly and everyone is happy.

Cheers :)

Sponsored Links
Since there is a known existing problem/objection, my opinion is that the other owner will not be satisfied with the small decrease afforded by 100 mm wool.

Mineral wool helps but is only the first ( cheap) stage in a multi-stage process,

I suggest you search on here as there are numerous informative posts concerning what people have done/had to do and the results.

The really big difficulty is that neither of you will actually know what the end result will be when you agree what to do and this may cause problems if the result is (deemed) unsatisfactory.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back