installing pine T & G flooring: to float or to nail?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi all, i couldnt find a specific post to answer this so here goes...

im laying pine t&g 6inch planks onto existing floorboards. i want the thermal and acoustic insulation properties offered by wood fibre underlay (im on the 1st floor, and have baby on the way!).

ive been told to secret nail the flooring, but ive also heard that doing so will negate the thermal / acoustic benefit of the underlay. but not nailing will weaken the joints?

please advise! thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
Secret nailing: when installing directly onto joists (or sometimes on a sub floor of thick enough plywood - never nail on chipboard, this will split). When you opt for nailing, don't install underlayment between subfloor and new floor. This will be impressed by the nails and lose its insulating effect.

Floating: most solid and wood-engineered boards can be installed floating.
Note for solid: width of board should be wider than 100mm or the width of the room should not exceed 5 - 6 meters - otherwise it is best to glue solid floorboards.

Also, if you install the new boards in the same direction as the existing one: install hardboard or plywood first to make sure any cupping and/or uneveness of the existing boards don't effect the new floor

thanks for your reply.

the planks are t & g on two sides only. they are 6 inches wide and the room is no wider than 4 metres. the most important thing for me is the sound and thermal insulation, so i believe floating on wood fibre underlay is the best option for me.

will glue (pva?) be strong enough to fix this flooring as it is only T & G on two sides?

thanks again Dan

Sponsored Links
thanks. theyre 5 metres long and hopefully straight!

thanks again on behalf of all advice seekers! appreciate your help!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back