New forum for woodburning / multifuel stoves?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just wondering whether we should have one, getting more and more questions asked about this in the Plumbing and Central Heating Forum... Mods / Admin?

Sponsored Links
That would suit us, as we've just bought one.

It's an FX5 which, I understand, is quite a popular model and not too expensive. We have found it to work well and, once we had practised a bit, proved easy to light and control.

One recommendation (following our own experience), do NOT try to burn unseasoned wood! We bought some locally which we thought was ready to burn, but it was difficult (though not impossible) to light and didn't burn well. Now we use kiln-dried logs which we obtained online - delivered in less than a week right to our front door.

We have central heating, so the fire is really only additional and partly for effect although, once it has been going for an hour or so, it really throws out the heat.

If it is decided to start a new forum, perhaps the mods could move this post to it.

Sponsored Links
One recommendation (following our own experience), do NOT try to burn unseasoned wood!

It's a shame your installer appears to have failed to correctly advise you on how to operate your stove.

You should get yourself a digital moisture meter, and any wood you burn must have a moisture content of less than 25% or it will begin to clog up your flue, creating a risk of chimney fires

Yes, we could call it the "the how to annoy your neighbours in suburbia" forum.

/troll

Would you like to expand on that? What's annoying?

I live in a valley, over the last several years it has become noticeable that wood burning has come back in fashion.

It actually creates a mini smog hanging above the houses.

Because I live on the side of a hill halfway up the valley, the smoke lingers at the level of my windows (I can actually see a layer of smoke over the houses below me).

One recommendation (following our own experience), do NOT try to burn unseasoned wood!

It's a shame your installer appears to have failed to correctly advise you on how to operate your stove.

You shouldn't jump to conclusions; they did. The wood we bought, we thought was pre-seasoned. Yes, before you criticise, we should have asked!

I live in a valley, over the last several years it has become noticeable that wood burning has come back in fashion.

It actually creates a mini smog hanging above the houses.

Because I live on the side of a hill halfway up the valley, the smoke lingers at the level of my windows (I can actually see a layer of smoke over the houses below me).

Do you live in a smokeless zone? If so, people burning wood should not create any smoke, except when initially lighting up.

Mind you, I've been told that after dark you can burn what you like and nobody will know the difference! :LOL:

You can actually complain about them causing an environmental nuisance and use official channels to force them to burn smokeless fuels...

Mind you, I've been told that after dark you can burn what you like and nobody will know the difference! :LOL:
On November 6th, does the air always seem smoggy both in appearance and scent?

Ipso facto

On November 6th, does the air always seem smoggy both in appearance and scent?

Ipso facto

Oh yes, but my point is that they won't know who's done it!

I'm not saying I'd do anything of the sort, of course. :eek:

Sponsored Links
Back