New foul pipe connection issues for ensuite

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I want to get an ensuite built on the first floor. This it seems will require a new foul pipe connection to be made to an existing manhole in the side return section of my garden. The existing soil pipe runs from a downstairs bathroom into the ground so may be more difficult to connect to.

Now there are a few issues with getting the new soil stack connected.

- I lifted the manhole cover which also partially goes across to the neighbours garden and think it may be a public sewer as they also seem to have their soil pipe outlets into this.
- there is no record of it being a public sewer from a drainage pipe map which I have from last year. I think this was a private sewer before 2011 but guess may now be the water companies responsibility if it is indeed a public sewer.
-the downstairs bathroom is in the extended part of the house, and it seems that this has been built over a soil pipe outlet for my other neighbour on the other side. I have purchased the house last year and the RICS survey mentioned that the extension was built in around 1980. There is however no building completion certificate for this.
- I was filling out the building control notification form which mentions that I may be subject to a building over agreement if I have a shared sewer or drain.

I am wary of starting any work of getting trench dug out, with a new connection laid, only to find out that the inspector refuses to certify the work.

I am also wary of getting in touch with the water company and again they start finding issues with the extension set up being made over the soil stack.

I want to ensure that I follow rules and ultimately get the sign-off for any work but am now not sure what to do.

Will be grateful to receive any advice or suggestions.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Your neighbours soil stack and subsequent underground pipe leading to the IC will not be publicly owned if this pipe services your neighbours drains only.

BC will only be interested in your new connection to the IC

It would be owned by the water board once it passes beyond the neighbours boundary. Bet BC wont be bothered about that anyway, just the new connection as you say.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back