Soil pipe under new concrete floor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can I run a soil pipe under a new concrete floor with a few 30 degree bends, without needing an inspection chamber?

I want to build a 6m rear extension, but the main/public sewer is only 7m from the rear of my property (parallel to the rear wall). I know I need to notify my water provider if I am building within 3m of a public sewer, and I also read somewhere that if the sewer is between 1.1m and 2m deep, then there is a minimum distance of 600mm, or 1m if it's deeper.

My plan, before I realised how close the main sewer actually was, was to put a inspection chamber closer to the main sewer, outside he bounds of the extension, for my new pipework to connect to - but I'm not sure that I can do that with just 1m of space, if I was even allowed to.

I'll need to run new pipe from the side of the extension (see attached plan), and I'm hoping I can connect these to an inspection chamber, and the run new pipework to the existing pipe with some gradual bends.

I believe some existing properties may have soil pipes under the concrete floor - but I'm unsure if this would be conform to today's building regs. Estimated run would be 7.5m under the floor.

Thank you

Attachments

• Foul sewer.JPG
    Foul sewer.JPG
    26.2 KB · Views: 554
Sponsored Links
As far as building Regs is concerned a private drain can run under an extension, an internal inspection is also allowed provided it has a sealed cover.
Personally I would not allow the arrangement with the bends as you propose. I will stress as no doubt others will your BCO may take a different view.
I would be asking for a direct line to a new sewer connectiion,

Thanks frutbunn!

Reassuring to know that private drains under a concrete floor are allowed. I wasn't aware internal inspection chambers were allowed though so that's useful to know. I guess that gives me another option.

I know it all comes down to what my BCO will allow, but can I ask why you wouldn't allow it? What about 15 degree bends, rather than 30? I only chose 30 as it'd read this was the minimum without an inspection chamber - and 15 degrees would mean 4 bends instead of two.

A new connection to the main sewer is an option I did consider it, but a bit unsure on the cost. I plan to do this as a self build, but I wouldn't want to touch the main sewer myself. I know there is an application fee to the water company (Anglian Water in my case) but would I then arrange my own contractor to make the new connection, or is that something only the water company can do?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back