New Freezer

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have just replaced our old chest freezer in the garage.

The old one had a leaky seal (arf arf!) so ice was forming around the lid. But then it broke down well before Christmas.

It stayed in the garage until Friday morning, when we moved it out for the new one to be delivered yesterday morning.

Fast forward exactly 24 hours.

The garage has a couple of steps down from the kitchen. I am not the steadiest on my feet due to balance issues so I had a grab handle screwed to the kitchen door frame on the garage side.

I opened the kitchen/ garage door, went to go down the steps and somehow slipped. I was still holding the grab handle with my right hand (not my best grip as my RHS is affected by CP), spun round to the right, catching a shelf and landed on the freezer top.

The lid is now dented and buckled and will no longer shut properly.

Oh. One more thing. On the shelf was an XL can of expanding foam. You can guess the rest.

Let's just say I spent a good amount of time cleaning the brand new freezer and I have discarded a T shirt.

You couldn't make it up....:(

This Mr Murphy has a lot to answer for.

Why did that have to happen when the new freezer was in place??

We got rid of the old freezer partly because the door wouldn't seal properly, now our new freezer has a door that won't seal properly....

Mrs Secure at least has the right approach to the accident.

I sent her a text and her reply? "Ouch. Will we need a new one?"

Sponsored Links
:) Sadly gaz, I was frantically trying to clean the expanding foam off the freezer before it set.

Can only show you the shirt i took off...
upload_2018-4-8_14-18-49.png

Sponsored Links
It's the only time in all of my 51 years I have been grateful that I got Cif.....

Hmm.. got a similar response from my ex when I walloped my head on the new boiler.... "hope you didn't damage it... (the boiler..)" all heart !

I'm a bit (read "lot") of a clumsy bugger these days, but that's a personal best. 24½ hours old and buggered!
Still, I'm OK, the metal can be mended.

Thanks... it f''ing hurt I even very briefly knocked myself out... oh well... at least the boiler (physical and ex) didn't suffer.

I'm not convinced my fall has caused the seal gap.
I will ask the retailer/ manufacturer if they can inspect it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back