New french door bottom corner sealing.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Ive adjusted all the locking cams towards the seal of my new french door, it pulls the door tight against the frame.

However at the bottom corner its not as tight (can slip a piece of paper between seal and frame and you can push the door with your finger and feel the draught come in.

Its not horrendous by any stretch but given the cams are at maximum tightness is there anything else i can do to pull it tighter at the bottom? Will the bottom corresponding plate the cam goes into need pulling in a bit maybe, is that as easy adjustable as the middle strike plate?

I dont think doing anything at the hinge side would help.

No i dont want to get the builder back, ive had enough of him to be honest, and it is nitpicking anyway so would rather just deal with it myself.

Sponsored Links
Show us a pic?
20231111_063552.jpg

Is that another adjustable strike plate? So i can loosen the screws and pull it in a tiny bit?

Sponsored Links
You referred to it as a "bottom corresponding plate"

Does the cam engage with it effectively? I've had then supplied positioned wrongly so the cam is only just touching the ramped part

How far away from the part of the door that has the problem, is this "plate"?

You referred to it as a "bottom corresponding plate"

Does the cam engage with it effectively? I've had then supplied positioned wrongly so the cam is only just touching the ramped part

How far away from the part of the door that has the problem, is this "plate"?
Hi please see attatched. Engages fine yes just not as tight as i would like.

It has some adjustment you can experiment with.. Loosen the small screws in the grooves above and below, then jiggle the keep to reposition.

It has some adjustment you can experiment with.. Loosen the small screws in the grooves above and below, then jiggle the keep to reposition.
Will that be okay to do once or twice in terms of the screw going back in securely? Is it attatched to an aliminium or wood stud usually?

I assume i need to move the strike plate inwards to increase compression?

Also the locking cams, do they all have to be turned the same direction?

Those screws don't work that way. The strike plate (should) has a set of ridges on as does the back of the bar the plate is mounted in. The screws pull the bar and plate together and the ridges stop it sliding. You thus only need to nip the screws up lightly enough to hold the interlocking ridges together

Yes, you move it towards the centreline of the door to increase compression

All the cams I've experienced can be rotated in either direction to adjust, and they don't all have to be set to the same degree of rotation.. You might have the top one on slackest and bottom on tightest in order to counter some slanted misalignment of another part of the mechanism for example

Be aware that pulling one part of a door in can twist another part of the door out, so in pulling a bottom in a lot you might have to also pull a middle in a little etc

Don't apply so much compression that the handle becomes stiff, as it will eventually break. Swapping the bubble gasket out for one hat is easier to compress would be better than using excessive compression to overcome a stiff gasket

Those screws don't work that way. The strike plate (should) has a set of ridges on as does the back of the bar the plate is mounted in. The screws pull the bar and plate together and the ridges stop it sliding. You thus only need to nip the screws up lightly enough to hold the interlocking ridges together

Yes, you move it towards the centreline of the door to increase compression

All the cams I've experienced can be rotated in either direction to adjust, and they don't all have to be set to the same degree of rotation.. You might have the top one on slackest and bottom on tightest in order to counter some slanted misalignment of another part of the mechanism for example

Be aware that pulling one part of a door in can twist another part of the door out, so in pulling a bottom in a lot you might have to also pull a middle in a little etc

Don't apply so much compression that the handle becomes stiff, as it will eventually break. Swapping the bubble gasket out for one hat is easier to compress would be better than using excessive compression to overcome a stiff gasket
Amazing this is very helpful thank you, i may try reduce compression in the middle first and see if that helps before adjusting the strike plate.

Strike plate adjustment made zero difference.

It seems the bottom 2 locking cams arent tight enough against the silver door bar meaning they rock a bit when engaged so thats why the door can be pushed easily.

How can i get them to sit tighter to the door frame?

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back