Gap on uPVC door

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Yet another post on uPVC doors I know...

There are three roller cans on my back door — bottom, middle and top. The top and middle pull the door into the frame tightly and there is a good seal. Unfortunately there is a gap at the bottom and I can quite easily push or pull (from outside) the bottom of the door away from the frame up to 10mm. Enough for someone to get a grasp on the door or insert a crow bar.

I have just now spent an hour adjusting the roller cam by ¼ turns as well as pulling the metal plate (which houses the cam) towards the inside of the frame.

No matter what combination of adjustments I make, it doesn’t change the gap at the bottom one bit. I’ve adjusted the other two and there is an immediate noticeable difference when making small adjustments.

Can anybody offer some experience or knowledge on this? What could be stopping the door pulling tightly to the frame?

I knew about the gap before but a recent break in nearby has made me a lot more conscious of it. I want that gap closed!

Sponsored Links
If no amount of adjustment has made a difference then I would make sure the cam is actually going behind the keep(certainly sounds like it isn't). Assuming its inward opening then stand outside and bring the door into the frame and observe the gap between the door sash and the frame keeps, ideally you want to as close as you dare keeping heat expansion in mind, 3 or 4mm is good, as doors drop or lean with age/weight I would hazzard a guess and say its close at the top but opened up at the bottom, depending on your hinge you could try and wind the bottom over a touch, trouble is if you only have roller cams and no hooks then its a pretty old door/system which could also mean you have dated butt hinges which don't have a great deal of adjustment, some but not a lot, pictures would help

Sounds like you have only been playing with the locking cams? When it sounds like its the hinges you need to adjust to throw the door over.
Can you post a pic of your hinges

Sponsored Links
Sounds like you have only been playing with the locking cams? When it sounds like its the hinges you need to adjust to throw the door over.
Can you post a pic of your hinges

I made adjustments to the cams and catches (on the door frame) and nothing happened to the bottom one.

Weirdly though, I was in the kitchen the next day and the other half says "the door won't unlock". Curious, I checked it was unlocked and applied more force than I usually would to the handle and it opened. I then shut it again and pushed the handle up to see the whole door get pulled in at the bottom! It seems it had somehow taken affect overnight. Throughout the day it carried on like this. I've altered it slightly now so it's not as stiff pushing the cams down and all is fine!

As for hinges I did slightly tighten the bottom one after posting above but saw no improvement then. The door was installed new in 2012. It has T-hinges.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back