New Garage Roof Advice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am looking at changing my garage roof. The garage is one of those concrete sectional things with a flat roof (though with a decent slope on it) and the roof material I believe is Asbestos. I want to get rid of the Asbestos roof and create a nice warm deck roof and eventually, make the garage more of a "room".

As i've been planning, measuring and drawing i've been noticing more about the garage structure, things i've never noticed before and see that the wall panels seem to just stand on their end and be connected to each other like a big balancing act and stiffened up by the metal roof trusses (I hope I got the word trusses right) which hold up the roof sheets.

I want to get rid of the roof entirely, change over to wooden joists and crack on from there but now I am worrying that in doing so I could actually destabilise the whole garage. Am I right or just being over worried and also, any advice would be much appreciated in general?

Sponsored Links
Sorry... bumping the thread, hoping for some help :)

You would need a wall plate which locks all the panels together, then joists that are fixed to the wall plates -they then lock one garage side to the other.

Be careful if you use joist hangers -they dont becessarily have much lateral restraint.

The panels are bolted together, not sure how I friggin missed them firstly. If they are bolted together would I still have any worries regards the stability of this thing when taking the current roof off and putting a new one on? Any links to the wall plates you were saying so I can get an idea of what they look like?

Sponsored Links
The panels are bolted together, not sure how I friggin missed them firstly. If they are bolted together would I still have any worries regards the stability of this thing when taking the current roof off and putting a new one on? Any links to the wall plates you were saying so I can get an idea of what they look like?

Sectional concrete garages are def bolted!
You can take the roof off without it falling down, but bear in mind the long walls might become a wobbly without a roof to lock them all together.

A wall plate, probable a 6 x 2 or similar. Fix that the to the walls, then you can fit all the joists to it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back