new garage

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
in the process of replacing exsisting lean to garage with a larger one 18ft long and 15ft wide at the planning and building regs stage at the moment thinking of a full concrete base and a steel framework with cladding on the walls and roof
with the base down the garage in theory could be erected in a weekend
my thinking is box section frame at both ends and one or two inbetween with purlins in between to attach tne cladding
one side will be seen by the neighbours if they did not like the cladding could it be covered with shiplap

Sponsored Links
Have you got planning permission for it? They may require the materials to be similar to those of the house.

no planning as yet just weighing options up only to be used for classic car storage so needs no frills

Yes, I don't see why not.
I think a we bit of thought as to how you could make the swap from metal to timber cladding time and cost effective, would be time well spent...pinenot :)

Sponsored Links
Why would it be favorable to go for shiplap? Higher maintenance, slower to erect...

I'm on the fence between plasti coated steel and shiplap for my garage build at the moment, but it will be insulated and internally lined as well.

Why go for the 'industrial unit with a sprinkle of shed', when you could have a masonry structure that actually may look nice and look as if belongs there?

Anything metal (internally) will drip condensation like a tap unless you build to a decent spec. Build quick and cheap, i.e. tin shack and you're likely to be disappointed with the outcome. You may as well have a pop-up gazebo.

with the base down the garage in theory could be erected in a weekend
Hilarious.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back