new gas cooker regulation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
CORGI gas guys should be aware of the new reg that came into place on Jan 1st but it might help others who get someone in to fit their new gas cooker who are not up on the regs and are simply looking to make some dosh, in a multi dweling property a new cooker must have flame supervision device which if the supply is interupted the appliance will not allow gas to pass through to the burner if the supply is reinstated, it is quite shocking how many cookers don't have the facility and are potentially dangerous, the strange thing about this reg is that it only relates to multi dwelling properties, ie tenements, quarter villa houses, anything with a shared entrance way leading to individual front doors but not individual houses, it would have been better to simply make the new reg that ANY cooker fitted now should have flame supervision, i can't see a spotty teenager in comet etc questioning the customer about the type of property they are in as they sell a hob/cooker
the CORGI technical bulletin is 719 if anyone wants to read it in full

Sponsored Links
Thanks but better to post this in the combustion chamber forum for RGI's

:)

fair point about me posting in combustion camber, but i was waiting on an email from admin to let me on, but had a look and found i can post there.
i was also thinking about customers not getting best advice, can admin move it for me?

Sponsored Links
It is a good idea for the general public to be aware of these regulations, I have lost count of the number of times that I have been called to fit and appliance that they have bought from one of the big DIY stores only for me to ruin their day when I tell them that I won't fit it.. The lady with the six burner hob to be fitted under a 600mm cooker hood with cupboards on each side of it still haunts me

I agree with Corgigrouch. It's no good just chucking all these regs at us guys .The general public should be made aware of them as well. They think that you're just trying to rip them off for more money when you tell them that their nice new gas appliance can't be fitted. They then find someone who doesn't care and fits it anyway and you end up looking like "supertosser". An example. Couple of years ago, a lady who lives a few doors away wanted a price to fit a steamer in her new extension. I managed to fob her off but asked her where she wanted the boiler to go. Two foot from next doors wall. Can't have it there I said blah blah. She got a large-ish long established local company to fit it. Right on the wall where I said it couldn't go. I got a few strange looks for a while after that.

I agree with Corgigrouch. It's no good just chucking all these regs at us guys .The general public should be made aware of them as well. They think that you're just trying to rip them off for more money when you tell them that their nice new gas appliance can't be fitted. They then find someone who doesn't care and fits it anyway and you end up looking like "supertosser". An example. Couple of years ago, a lady who lives a few doors away wanted a price to fit a steamer in her new extension. I managed to fob her off but asked her where she wanted the boiler to go. Two foot from next doors wall. Can't have it there I said blah blah. She got a large-ish long established local company to fit it. Right on the wall where I said it couldn't go. I got a few strange looks for a while after that.

It just goes to show solo that for every one chap who follows the rules there are ten willing to ignore them

and ten clients willing to listen because it suits them.

And that is why I don't get involved in gas too much. You can sort of rationalise it when you're up against another one man band, but when so called bigger companies are bending and flouting the rules you start to wonder " Why should I bother?". I had a cousin wanted me to commission a new boiler that his buliders installed in his new house. Vokera Unica. Looked at M.I's on their site and it stated that a FGA was required for this. Told him that I wouldn't be able to help. He contacted another " biggish" local company and they said they'd never heard of it, so I look like a t**t. Other more experienced people who visit here will be able to tell me if I was right or wrong, but I went by M.I's which are supposed to be gospel.

I agree with Corgigrouch. It's no good just chucking all these regs at us guys .The general public should be made aware of them as well. They think that you're just trying to rip them off for more money.

Its the public who are the problem!

A serious RGI tells them the regulations and they just go and get a Polish plumber who connects it up illegally for half the price!

Complain to CORGI and they can do nothing because the owner will not call them in!

Call the HSE and they do have powers of entry but say they do not have resources to investigate unless someone was killed!

Tony

You all are on the internet and surely you must notify over the net as it is only £2.50 ... So everyone should know this cooker reg as per corgi email to you. Or am i on a special list.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back