New GCH Install

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've recently bought a 1st floor, 2bed flat that has electric storage heaters. I want to install gas central heating so that we're not paying through our noses to keep warm!

Something that's really bugging me is that pipes will be on display all over the flat (concrete floor) - What's the best way to hide these? Box? Behind the skirting?

What should I be paying to get this done (south London) without getting ripped off?

Cheers :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
there's various things you can do to hide pipes.
- chase them into the wall (labour intensive)
- run them across ceiling and fit a 2nd "false" ceiling over the top(costly?)
- run them in the corners of rooms and box them in
- fit them behind skirting like this
http://www.talon.co.uk/products/skirting-cover.html

Can't say about cost, just do a bit of research, decide roughly what you want to do and then get 3 recommend local chaps in to quote.

Thanks for your quick reply!

Didn't realise I had that many options! :)

Although a good idea, I'm not sure I like the "look" of the skirting casing. Even though it would be labour intensive I like the idea of having them chased into the wall.

Ultimately it will come down to cost ...I think we have budgeted a couple of grand for the heating work.

When I get quotes, should I include the removal of the existing storage heaters?

Does the cost normally include the price for pipes, rads and boiler?

Does it matter if they are CORGI registered or not?

the boiler and gas work must be done by someone Gas Safe Registered. The other work could potentially be done by anyone, but just be aware some gas chappies don't like connecting boilers on to someone elses work! So worth getting a few people in for discussions. BUT in all honesty, your budget sounds a bit on the low side to me. Maybe worth going over with it with a couple of guys over the phone first to save anyone wasting time .
If you want to chase pipes into walls/floors, you can of course do all the chases yourself first, but confirm it all with someone first and let them advise. No point them turning up and your chases are too narrow/not deep enough etc...

Sponsored Links
The first big question is do you have gas in the block and if so where is it in relation to you?

1st floor will mean working from heights to install your flue so this will increase the price from a standard install.

Couple of grand as advised may not be enough as a decent boiler and rads will cost about £1400 then factor in the fact you have concrete floors and ceilings and would like the pipes concealed. No one here can see your property so can only guesstimate a price.

Pete

Thanks for your replies chaps

The flat is in a purpose built '70s block (66sq ft), 2 beds, kitchen, landing, own stairs, living room and bathroom and loft space! No one lives above us. There is a gas cooker in the kitchen so I can (safely) assume there is a gas point already?

Also, isn't a flue just a hole in the wall to let the crap out? Can do that from indoors right?

Plus, I was thinking of getting those snazzy boilers that can re-use the heat so not wasting so much energy.

I'll have to reconsider my budget by the sounds of things! I know the more I want or need to get done will cost. I just want to make sure I spend the ££ where it's needed and I'll see the benefit.

I'd rather have someone do all the work from start to finish..plus I was thinking of getting underfloor heating in the bathroom....

How does 5/6k sound for this? :confused:

can the boiler go in the loft? and the rad supplies on drops? i lived in a maissonette and done the same thing.

I am surprised that no one has mentioned te grant you can get towards converting to a gas system.

I would have expected about £4000 less the grant of about £300 if it qualifies and there is still money.

Tony

Also, isn't a flue just a hole in the wall to let the crap out? Can do that from indoors right?

In some countries that about the definition of a toilet except put floor instead of wall.

In some countries that about the definition of a toilet except put floor instead of wall.

So when a flue needs to be put in on the 10th floor is there a really long ladder that gets used? Or a crane? :LOL:

I didn't understand why being on the first floor would make a difference to installing the flu hence my over simplification...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back