GCH problem with neighbour

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My partner lives in a converted flat (top floor of three in an old Victorian house). I live on the middle and a neighbour on the ground floor. Both of us has GCH and my partner wants to install. She has contacted National Grid and got a quote for works. The neighbour on the bottom is a bit of an unpredictable person and is being difficult signing the permission for the works to be carried out. My partner has offered a copy of the NG's contract however she wants 'more information'.

My partner approached the neighbour again this afternoon who is being so difficult regarding GCH that she is now not able to have it installed. The neighbour was stating she wasn't happy with the 'making good' process e.g concrete being laid and even that it may still be wet when she comes home! She is being overly controlling regarding where to put the meter box and mentioned 'what if the rendering needs replacing'. To put this into context she has been very difficult before (she recently didn't contribute to a new flat roof we needed due to leaks and a slipped roof tile this week).

I know for certain she has fabricated or exaggerated insurance claims and is very quick to threaten to sue (in a shop etc). An example is that my freezer defrosted and a small leak emerged in her ceiling. I paid her half a days wages (£100) as she insisted taking a day off work even though it was remeded by 9.30am. She threatened to take me to small claims as she wanted a whole days wages. Basically she is very very tricky and even with permission given she may sue if it is not 100% perfect. We are thinking off moving in 2 years approx (to a freehold house!) - is it worth the risk? Or should my partner just get updated electric heaters in the interim (and does this involve re-wiring)? Sorry for the jumble of an update but I wanted advice as to whether you would go ahead or not? Thanks

Sponsored Links
If you are moving in 2 years, keep what you have. You will never recover the price of a complete central heating installation plus the cost of the meter install.
With the lovely neighbour being difficult, you could easily add hundreds of pounds of legal costs as well, which would bring the total cost of a decent installation somewhere in the region of £3000 or more.

Sponsored Links
who's responsible for managing the lease :?:

Yes you should be doing this through the leaseholder not having to approach her directly. Sounds like an awkward sod though, so you might be better off moving out and leaving her to someone else.

As for the small claims court, I'd have said 'bring it on'. Had your day in court and no doubt the clerk would have seen right through her charade. Sounds like she needs bringing down a peg or two!

Go through the freeholder's agent. She has to abide by the terms of her lease. If you all jointly own the freehold then the same applies. It is normally a condition of the lease to allow reasonable access for works. Had this last year and the other leaseholder had to back down. In the matter of joint works, if she doesn't pay her share then she is in default of her lease and the freeholder can take measures to take the property back in hand. Her building society / motgager will not allow this and will usually pay, adding the amount to her mortgage. I have set this in motion in the past. The tenant eventually lost the property.

In the matter of joint works, if she doesn't pay her share then she is in default of her lease and the freeholder can take measures to take the property back in hand. Her building society / motgager will not allow this and will usually pay, adding the amount to her mortgage. I have set this in motion in the past. The tenant eventually lost the property.

Wow that is great information. I have a friend who is in a similar situation to that on his leasehold flat. He told me the other flat owner wouldnt pay their share of some work and the leaseholder was being too lenient. I think there is more going on myself but I'll pass on that info.

We love the suggestion of pooing in the letterbox although understand this could get us into some bother if they DNA'ed it! Yes I am all for moving sooner than 2 years as she is awful (although other neighbours are perfect in contrast).

The freeholder has given permission (although will cost £850 - another story but at least it can be acheived). I know National Grid will also waver the neighbours permission so she can't actually prevent the work but I can imagine her sueing and quite frankly I think I would then dream of breaking one of her many recycled wine bottles over her dyed roots (meouw!). I am thinking life will be easier just to make do and move in next 2 years.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back