Neighbour proposing to site boiler flue within my boundary

Hi

Only just picked up additional messages since my last post on Saturday. I will get a pic of re-sited flue tomorrow and post it. It is still a worry if wind blows my way... but then again her kitchen window is between my door and bungalow, so if I get the plume, so will she I reckon!

She told Property Management guy a while ago she wanted to have her own boiler, and one of other converted flats in the house already has its own boiler, this work having been done about 8/9 yrs ago so don't think its anything illegal.

There are still 6 other flats within converted house who have use of communal boiler and this all came about as we need to change current boiler since it is old and we're currently getting in quotes to fit a new one.

Actually think she's a bit potty since we've for years been paying business rate for our gas and of course share costs for servicing etc, which has turned out to be very economical within our service charge. Of course what we don't get is individual control over switching it on or off but as my flat is teeny I don't see cost effectiveness of getting my own boiler, and hey I'll be outta here within 6 months..... Maybe sooner after all this nightmare and hassle with the old bag next door!!

Re the plumbers properly decommissioning pipework from communal boiler... I just hope for her sake they knew what they were doing, though as I say, having read some of the company's reviews I'd be wary of using them to do anything.

Sponsored Links
sorry just spotted a typo in last post - her window is between her re-sited flue and my patio and back door, not bungalow!

Me again! ..

Funny you should say about this being a moody job and not 'on the books' ... When I spotted the van of the plumber who came around last week to meet with her re fitting, also spotted company name of company emblazoned on it.

When I then subsequently found out from her she was intending to site flue within my patio area, I thought I'd give company a call and asked if they had work scheduled re boiler installation at this address, in attempt to point out to them beforehand the illegality if placed flue where she wanted them to.

Bloke I spoke to said there was no listing for this address for a boiler installation....So unless he was lying, and can't see why he would, it all sounds a bit iffy?? :confused: :eek:

Its quite common for dodgy employees to do installations at weekends. Sometimes the employers know but accept it.

Why this is not a good idea for the customer includes:-

Employees are not insured!

Employees are not Gas Safe registered for non employers work!

There is no comeback for poor quality work. No guarantee!

As they only accept cash and cannot give a receipt it involves tax evasion.

Sponsored Links
It probably wont get notified either.

I would definitely invite gassafe and building control to check it out.

My experience of Building Control is they have little interest.

When a swimming pool was being built ( half in my garden ) the planning department said they had a six week lead time for unauthorised buildings.

Building Control were rather more helpful and sent someone the next day.

The pool had to be abandoned, not because of my complaints but because the Owner had paid £44k cash to someone who it turned out lived in a caravan to the east of London.

The subbies had spent a few weeks and about £9000 excavating and concreting the base of the pool. They were not pleased. The BCO asked me to be gentle with them!

If you read my whole thread you'd see it wasn't going to originally go there, neighbour wanted to site it within my patio.boundary, until I intervened and spoke to plumber about it contravening building regs..... ! The fact he seemed pretty clueless made me wary about it being a legit installation.

Now I'm ok with its position, as at least not sited within nor overhanging into my patio & is at least its LEGAL, however I was merely enquiring about its position going through the grille tile and whether safe, and slightly botch job it looks like it is.

174000_173617_37887_47849609_thumb.jpg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back