New GCH Install

Ah ok that makes sense.

Would you chase into the wall too hide the pipes?

How do you set the timer/programs on the boiler? I suppose you'd need to install a thermostat too? Curious to know what the cons are of doing it this way

Is it safe to install in a loft?

Sponsored Links
The pipes don't have to be chased into the wall, they dont look that bad surface mounted, its just an option.
get a RF programmable stat, put it anywhere you want. If you don't feel you would want to or be able to get up the loft at any time to refill the boiler than a filling loop could be fitted somewhere more convenient. tbh I wouldn't get to bogged down with detail. Get an idea of what you want to do and speak to some installers. Easy for me to sit here saying would could be done when im not doing it !

I've recently bought a 1st floor, 2bed flat that has electric storage heaters. I want to install gas central heating so that we're not paying through our noses to keep warm!

Don't change to gas to save money. Change because storage heaters are crap, with little or no control over day to day temp settings.

Yes, you'll save a few quid each year because heating with gas is nearly always cheaper than electricity, but the investment in a new full ch system will take years to get back in savings. Only do this if you will be living there for a min of ten years.

Don't change to gas to save money. Change because storage heaters are crap, with little or no control over day to day temp settings.

The convenience factor is indeed a big deal, but personally I think financially it can make good sense too, if you factor in the increase in value of the property from having GCH. I recently had my house converted from a coal powered system to gas. We're now looking to move on pretty soon, and I'm quite sure that having a decent GCH system will have added enough to the value of the house to break even on the installation investment. Probably saved about £500 on fuel last winter as well.

In my region (South Oxfordshire) the gas connection (i.e. from the gas main in the road to my house) itself cost ~£400, and there was a £200 rebate available if I could supply proof of a qualifying installation.

Sponsored Links
I would say you'll get your money back inside 10yrs. I live in an electrically heated apartment at the mo and it is insane. I reckon 3-4 times the cost of gas.

Thanks all for your replies - we aren't planning on staying for a long time, but we have the same thoughts as graham in that it will increase the value of the property once we come to sell it.

We have just had the Homebuyers survey carried out and this is what they fond under the following sections

G2 - Gas: Mains supply is provided with the meter located in the external cupboard. The visual condition appears satisfactory. Gas installations should be serviced on an annual basis. You should ensure that the installation is fully serviced prior to commitment to purchase albeit this will only be limited as it would appear that the gas supply only fuels the cooker in the reception room. I refer you to later comments with
regards to the heating installation. Condition rating 3

G3 - Water: The property has a gravity fed system with plastic water storage tanks located in the loft, and stopcock located in the ground floor stairwell. The installation had been drained down. Furthermore, my inspection of the water storage tank was limited due to insulation. Correctly fitting lids should be provided to prevent humidity from occurring from within the loft. During the course of any improvement works the installation should be tested for any necessary leaks. Condition rating 2

G4 Heating: Heating is provided via wall hung electric heaters. These are possibly the original. Current arrangements may not be the most cost effective and consideration should be given to replacing the central heating installation (for example a gas combination boiler). You are advised to obtain further advice from a heating engineer.
In the absence of this, you should also ensure that the electrical heaters are tested prior to commitment to purchase. Condition rating 3

G5 - Water Heating: Hot water is stored in a copper cylinder located in the front bedroom. Reference should be made to previous comments with regards to the heating installation - a condensing gas fired boiler may be
more cost efficient. Further advice should be sought. In the absence of this you should at least ensure an off peak timer is provided to the hot water cylinder. Condition rating 3

So was my original thoughts of having it all replaced with a new boiler, rads etc along the right lines? Is 2k quite unreasonable still?

Cheers!
:confused:

Good idea to drop the pipework from the loft and also consider fitting rads back to back then only one drop required to supply two rads.When can I start? Cash will do nicely!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back