new glazing noisier than old

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have an eight foot window through which I could hear traffic noise so
I had a new one installed today but the problem is the new one is much noisier than the previous one and in fact its almost as if its accentuated now. I used a fensa installer and the window is 28mm units -double, planitherm total with Argon gas. The old one was at least twenty years old and the openers didn't shut properly but still there was much less noise. Before I had to stand by the window to hear the traffic but now I can hear it in the next room. Does anyone know why this might happen?
Cheers
Preppie

Sponsored Links
That does sound odd. My guess, and I stress guess, is that there is a gap somewhere...

The only thing I will say , is replacing the frames probably won't cure the noise, as it will also depend on how well the rest of the house is soundproofed, even insulated. If you really want to cut the noise through the glass you will need something like ' Stadip Silence ' which is a sound deadening glass, but the thermal properties of the sealed unit may be affected , depending on the complete specification of the unit you have now.

Do the new windows have trickle vents?
You may want to lift a trim somewhere to see if they have foamed around the window.

This is not so odd.

It is actually a misconception that double glazing or even triple glazing will reduce noise any more than single glazed windows for certain frequencies.

It depends on the thickness of the glass (both panes) and air gap between them and how well the frame has been fitted.

For certain fequencies, (low noise rumble) double glazing and especially triple glazing, it can actually make things much worse.

In your case the air gap may be different to your old window or the glass a different thickness. Or the frame may have been fitted badly.

So, it has nothing to do with how new or old the frame is but how it is constructed and fitted.

http://wielandacoustics.com/images/stories/single_double_or_triple_glazing.pdf

Have a read, some good info.

The best options are secondary glazing (very large air gap). Or double glazing designed for noise supression.

Sponsored Links
I assume the installation is complete. If not are there any gaps around the edge of the frame that need trimming, sealing etc. Did they use expanding foam?
Does the new window have trickle vents that could be letting a bit more noise through?
Any chance you could post a couple of photos of the window please?

D'oh...how did I forget about Trickle Vents? Of course if trickle vents are fitted the noise will increase, as this is effectively a hole in the top of the window.

Yes secondary Glazing would be an option , but to limit those ' certain frequencies ' you would still need to fit a sound deadening glass into that as well , and as dishman says needs to be a fair way from the existing frame...I have in my head somewhere around 150mm from the original frame.

Quite a few people here and on other topics recommending acoustic double glazed units.

I looked into this for a customer about 5 years ago (things may have improved since then) The cost was ridiculous, 4-5 the price of normal double glazed units and when I read up on them the performance was quoted at around a 20 decibel reduction which is only the equivalent of someone whispering or leaves rustling in a tree.

Please do correct me if they have improved in performance or price but secondary glazing with a 100mm air gap would in most cases be half the cost and alot more effective.

I have downloaded some images unfortunately some are upside down and I have not been able to correct this so apologies

Now for more info
I do not believe foam was used .. where should this have been put
I note no sealant has been placed between window and sill
I do not know what type of vent they have and paperwork does not show but I believe it was discussed that it was a sealed vent
The windows are Profile 22 classic range
The installer is fensa registered and a member of the Consumer Protection Insurance Guarantee
The window is 8' wide and 5' deep
The first image is upright
The 3rd is upside down and shows where the window meets the sill

Gazman,

I cannot argue with your point, Acoustic glass is more expensive than standard glazing , and I always warn customers of that, and even explain, that you may well be hearing noises from other areas of the property ( eg poorly insulated roofs, open fires etc. Coupled with this , I make them fully aware that it is a personal thing , if you can justify the extra cost over the saving in noise, sometimes it isn't just worth it. It will also depend on what noise poluution you are trying to eliminate. The particular company we use for Secondary Glazing recommend that the optimum distance for their product is 150mm from existing glazing, and still for sound deadening recommend using Stadip Silence , a laminated glass from Saint Gobain, which come in varying thicknesses.

It is , in my opinion, a personal choice for the consumer, providing they are presented with all the facts, a bit like self cleaning glass.....

Probably could do with a sealant line across the bottom but they may have bedded the cill down on sealant.
No trickle vents visable.
No foam probably explains a good bit of the noise. Unfortunately there is no regulation that says a window must be foamed but it is good practice.

Expanding foam could have been squirted around the edges of the window before putting the trims on. It fills any voids and adds thermal and sound insulation.
Alot of fitters/company's don't want to wait an hour or so for the foam to go off before they can make good though.

it is possible that the old sealed unit that was taken out was laminated and the new one isn't this would cause a big difference in sound

it is possible that the old sealed unit that was taken out was laminated and the new one isn't this would cause a big difference in sound

That is a possibility , or even possibly 6mm Annealled Glass........ therefore the new unit is offering at least 4mm less of glass overall in thickness

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back