New Gutters & EPS Now, Paint Fascias (where needed) Late

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there

Gutters are around 30 years old on a late 80s property and are leaking. Had repairs done to them before but they haven't solved the leak so I've had quotes for replacement.

What Needs Doing

30m of guttering to be replaced with black squareline.

Black Fascias are generally fine and in good condition apart from a crack in one length of board caused by amateur window fitters. Not sure the crack is posing any issues, it's above the front door and isn't really noticeable.

White Soffits - There is an area of soffit that requires repair as this was damaged by the same amateur window fitters resulting in a small hole.

Quotes Received (best prices listed)

To cap existing fascias, soffits and replace guttering & install EPS: £1400

To replace guttering and repair soffit & install EPS: £350

My Thoughts & Advice Needed

Over-cladding - can't see that this is a good idea. What happens to condensation and moisture between the wooden fascia/soffit and new plastic? Being covered by plastic means all will look fine from ground level but there could be rot advancing behind the plastic. That rot could spread to the wooden rafters in the loft.

Gutter Replace & Soffit Repair - for me this seems the better option. EPS will be installed to keep moisture from going near fascias/soffits, the new guttering will remove water along the downpipes (as opposed to spilling over the fascia as they do now) and the soffit that is damaged (small hole) will be repaired before winter.

The fascias are in good condition and don't really need painting. The roofline companies tend to exaggerate but I have found a couple of good small companies. In both cases, the owner came out to do the quote and I was impressed with their knowledge.

Both companies are offering an insurance backed guarantee, I just need to ask for references. I searched your forum before posting so have found some info but if there's anything else to do or any advice from you experts it would be greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Lol was wondering what EPS was as well.

We call em eaves trays....suppose calling it a system will justify them adding more to the price. :unsure:

Anyway the fascias can be overclad if sound, free from rot etc without any issues.

Sponsored Links
Save up the extra and get full replacement

Hi MW, heard good things about you when I was searching through this forum!

When you say full replacement, do you mean removal of existing fascias & soffits and have the plastic directly fixed to the rafters?

Save up the extra and get full replacement

Hi MW, heard good things about you when I was searching through this forum!

When you say full replacement, do you mean removal of existing fascias & soffits and have the plastic directly fixed to the rafters?

Thanks. Yes. I know some on here say if the wood is fine how will it rot but it does, even with EPS installed. We're doing a lot of jobs now where the fascias were capped when the whole cladding thing took off circa 15-20 years ago and the wood behind does rot. I'll have to take some pics on the next job we do.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back