new hearth too low

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We've bought a new hearth, as the old one was cracked when we moved in. The only problem is, it's a slightly thinner than the old one. There is now a approx. 1/2 inch gap between hearth and the fireplace (which appears concreted in place).

Any suggestions on how I could raise the hearth to close the gap?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
What's the hearth set on to....is it concrete?
If so, either lay a thin cement screed or dot and dab until you get the correct height.
John :)

Yes exactly - concrete. I've only ever dry-laid concrete for a patio, and a few times wet mix for filling big gaps. So basically, build it up to the right level, use the spirit level, let it dry and then put the hearth back on top?

Thanks

You can certainly do it that way, or you could put some wet cement pads down, drop the hearth on them and gently tap down until all is level, pointing up the edges when you are happy with it.

Sponsored Links
You can certainly do it that way, or you could put some wet cement pads down, drop the hearth on them and gently tap down until all is level, pointing up the edges when you are happy with it.

Great, thanks John. Can I just put the wet cement straight down onto the concrete floor, i.e. I don't need a wooden frame or anything?

We got some new laminate flooring put down around the new hearth. I'm guessing the height (created by the underlay+laminate) will help keep the concrete in place as it dries.

W

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back