New heat exchanger left me with no hot water

Hi DP, everything was working ok until I switched the HE so that would lead me to think air in the system then. Any suggestions how to clear it?

Sponsored Links
Are you sure the pump definately runs when only HW is selected and you run a hot tap ?

Ok, thanks Ian. Yes the pump definitely runs when HW only is selected and I open a tap.
Is there another way I could clear the blockage?

Sponsored Links
when you reply to posters put @ and then their user name and they get a notification that you have replied, otherwise they have to look up the post and find if you have replied :love: as in @Howard123 you will have a notification now

Thanks @ianmcd
Can I check - when you said 'when you run a hot tap does one of the CH pipes get hot ?' did you mean overiding the flow switch so I get hot water or just open up the tap and let it run cold?

switch the CH off and run a hot tap, does one of the CH pipes below the boiler get hot, (you are testing the diverter valve by doing this, which I suspect was your origional problem and not the plate heat exchanger )

sorry if the boiler is not firing that wont work, remove the diverter valve actuator, it is a black motor on top of the diverter valve, it has a clip that you pull out to remove, leave the motor off and run a hot tap, what happens now ?

@ianmcd
Ok so with CH off and hot tap open, nothing gets hot. The boiler doesn't fire up at all like this.
If I turn the CH off, hot top open and override the flow switch then I get hot water no problem.

@ianmcd
sorry if the boiler is not firing that wont work, remove the diverter valve actuator, it is a black motor on top of the diverter valve, it has a clip that you pull out to remove, leave the motor off and run a hot tap, what happens now ?
Same issue. I open the hot tap and nothing happens - the boiler doesn't fire up and it's just a stream of cold from the tap

ok when you removed the motor ther is a pin in there , run a tap and push that pin in with something, you wont be able to do it with your finger it has a strong resistance, does the boiler fire when you manually push that pin in ?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back