New HF 4pin bulb not lighting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just had the 4 pin bulb go in my kitchen ceiling light. Bought a replacement (38W) but when I went to fit it it glows briefly then stops. Checked the fitting, and it says 28W only. Planning to swap the bulb at B & Q today but is this the only possible problem? Or could there also be an issue with the fitting. For reference, when I put the old bulb back in it flashes once then goes off. Thanks!

Sponsored Links
I am guessing not a bulb but a folded fluorescent tube likely the 2D type, in which case tube needs the match running gear, so if designed for 28W that is the only size you can use. If HF then just tube, but if not HF best to also renew starter.

Perfect! That makes sense. Never had one of these before, so just assumed that like an old filament lamp you could put a higher wattage in for a brighter light! Showing my age and ignorance there!

If I were you, throw that lamp away (you'll probably have to take it to a special disposal area at your local friendly recyling site :rolleyes:)

What I would do is to change the 4-pin pendant bit for a standard bayonet fitting and using a sensible LED lamp.

Sponsored Links
If I were you, throw that lamp away (you'll probably have to take it to a special disposal area at your local friendly recyling site :rolleyes:)
Why throw away if he can swap it for the right sort?

What I would do is to change the 4-pin pendant bit for a standard bayonet fitting and using a sensible LED lamp.
How do you know it's a pendant?

Im sure 28 w and 38w can only be a 2D or a tube, non standard wattages for PL lamps.
The 28 watt 2D often has a starter, but its located on the back of the round plate.
With the fitting off you will need to carefully lower or unscrew the back plate to access it.
If you can post a picture of the fitting with the lamp out, we can likely tell if it does have a starter or if its a HF starterless ballast.
If it has a starter it will be a fsu starter.
Do you remember when it worked, when turning on did it flash 1 or 2 times first, if it did then it does have a starter

Last edited:
Thanks for all the tips. It worked when I switched the lamp (2D type) to the 28W - came on immediately and burned properly. When we moved in the existing bulb was flickering all the time, turns out it was a 33W so obviously not compatible with the fitting. As for getting rid of the fitting, no can do as it's a rental property so I'm not messing with their electrics!

Now, if someone could help me sort this leaking tap.... :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back