New bathroom light fitting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I'd like to change the light fitting in our bathroom for something more aesthetically pleasing.

Currently just have a 100W bulb in there, so it would need to give off at least a comparable amount of light, so I've decided on something with a 2D 28W (or 38W) tube. Looking at something like the following: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Eterna-D130...1410719362&sr=8-3&keywords=28w+bathroom+light

Here's the current setup:

2 quick questions:

As the light fixture is more than 60cm away from the shower, am I right in thinking an IP20 rated fitting (such as the example above) is ok, or do I need IP44?

If we find the 28W 2D bulb isn't bright enough, can this be swapped for a 38W one? There wouldn't be any problem with the ballast not coping or anything?

Cheers,

Gareth

Sponsored Links
How highs your ceiling?

I expect ip20 will be ok.

No 28w and 38w 2d lamps are not interchangeable. The ballast is designed for one lamp size only. I'd go for 38w to replace your current light.

Cool, thanks.

Ceiling is about 2350mm high. I'll most likely go with IP44 just to be sure, but it's good to know if I see an IP20 one I like it should be ok.

Regarding the 28W or 38W - I don't want it to be TOO bright though. The box of the 100w bulb says it emits 1780 lumens, and a 28W 2D bulb is 2050 lumens, which should be more than enough. (38W is 2850).

Thanks,

Gareth

Hi all,

I'd like to change the light fitting in our bathroom for something more aesthetically pleasing.

Currently just have a 100W bulb in there, so it would need to give off at least a comparable amount of light, so I've decided on something with a 2D 28W (or 38W) tube. Looking at something like the following: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Eterna-D130...1410719362&sr=8-3&keywords=28w+bathroom+light

Here's the current setup:

2 quick questions:

As the light fixture is more than 60cm away from the shower, am I right in thinking an IP20 rated fitting (such as the example above) is ok, or do I need IP44?

If we find the 28W 2D bulb isn't bright enough, can this be swapped for a 38W one? There wouldn't be any problem with the ballast not coping or anything?

Cheers,

Gareth
you will find that a 28w 2D is plenty bright enough get 840 colour ..secondly go for IP44 or IP65 ..they aint pretty but they are better fittings and not too expecive ..20-30 quid with lamp

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back