New home with a Nest - completely lost!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just moved in to a new house and struggling to get our heads around how the Nest / thermostat works together.

Nest system: Nest learning gen 2.
Nest heat link: Nest heat link gen 2.

This looks to be controlling the central heating just fine. I use the Nest app and its been bringing on the radiators when we've set it. All good there...I think.

Otherwise we've got downstairs next to the boiler a "Kingshield T62". The boiler I'm struggling to figure out what model it is, but attached an image "Ideal Classic".

My issue is here is that I simply don't get how to ensure the hot water comes on to the times I've set it. The pilot light has a small blue flame consistently and both lights above hot water and heating are red. If I don't have the heating ON, then the Nest doesn't work, which fair enough. However, does the hot water need to be set to ON all the time? Better yet does anyone know how to ensure the hot water comes on at preset times? Should the boiler be showing a small blue flame at all times? (I assume given its age that yes given its the pilot light, but at this point I'm questioning everything).

Attachments

• 20211017_143144.jpg
    20211017_143144.jpg
    279.7 KB · Views: 87
  • 20211017_170714.jpg
    20211017_170714.jpg
    125.1 KB · Views: 85
Sponsored Links
It all depends if they’ve wired it in correctly. The only way of knowing if the hot water comes on is to try it or wait for the set timed period and see if the boiler fires up, if it does then it should be done by the Nest. Again depending on how it’s wired up, then that would depend if you need the T62 on constant. There should be a cylinder thermostat for the hot water temperature control and this should be set to 60 degrees Celsius.

Hi,
The 2nd gen nest doesn't have hot water controls:
Screenshot_20211017-222324_Chrome.jpg
Theoretically (if it's been wired correctly!) , The T62 should still be controlling the hot water. So (I believe) doesn't need to be on constantly - set the timer and see! :)

• Thanks
Reactions: CBW
Sponsored Links
set CH to constant, set HW to timed, set up what HW on and off times you want then use slider to run own programme, the nest will override the programmer, the nest and the programmer dont actually directly tell the boiler to come on, you will have either a 3 port mid position valve or 2 x 2 port zone valves, the nest and programmer operate these , and these in turn tell the boiler and pump when to come on and off

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back