New Hot Water Cylinder required - advice please?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have an -

1. Old fortic tank in the airing cupboard - which has an emmersion for when rayburn is switched off.
2. Cold water tank in roof.
3. Shower in bathroom with electric heater.

So in our cottage we have a rayburn that heats the hot water - only a towel rail in bathroom is fed off it. There are no pumps or anything and we do not have central heating.

I need to replace the tank and I have read an article on DIYHOWTO that discusses Unvented and Vented hot water systems.

So I am now wondering if the Unvented hot water system would be a better route for me as it states almost all newly built properties use this because it is easier to install.

Your thoughts would be appreciated on what way would you advise.

Sponsored Links
Sorry to stop you in your tracks, but you need to be qualified and own a G3 ticket to be able to install unvented units, these can potentialy be a time bomb, and you and your families lives are the ones at risk, worth it?

Thank you - I am stopped in my tracks.....

The article was under DIY Projects - Unvented hot water system. Sounded a good idea at the time and worth looking in to.

Sponsored Links
Thanks - now - here is my next question. My existing tank fits in the centre of our cottage, upstairs, I have never lagged it because for us it works as a good warm airing cupboard and keeps the walls warm upstairs.

My wife would not like the new one to have a integral jacket. When we enquired a few months ago, when we were buying our shower, we were told some do have jackets that could be taken off.

Does anyone know of a company that supplies a good cylinder like we are looking for? Would the stainless steel one be able to have its jacket removed do you think.

It may be worth having a look round your local scrapyards they will probably have a selection at a very cheaper price.

lets step back 20 years :LOL: I doubt any manufacturer would sell an unlagged cylinder. most have the lagging sprayed on nowadays but you get a glenhill tank that has rockwool lagging and plastic jacket so would easy to rip off.

You could fit a lagged cylinder and add a small radiator to warm your airing cupboard, but IME even a lagged cylinder will keep an airing cupboard warm.

I sometimes wonder if the sprayed on foam lagging is intended to be part of the structure of the cylinder walls to save the manufacturers a bit of copper.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back