New hot water system for 4 bath bed and breakfast

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a small bed and breakfast and want to install a new hot water system.

I have been looking into buying a tempest stainless unvented direct cylinder as we have no oil or gas.

I am a bit confused as to how many I need, the size and if they can fit together.

It is a 4 bed guesthouse. 2 rooms at the top floor - each with an en-suite bathroom with baths. 2 rooms on the first floor one with a bath and one just a shower.

So 3 baths and 1 shower.

Potentially there could be 6 people all wanting a bath within a few hours (unlikely,but..) plus 2 showers both morning and night.

Through my research I am lead to believe I will need x2 300L tanks. One direct the top floor and one direct to the first floor or is it best to connect them together. I am worried if I connect them together the pressure won't be as good on the top floor if someone is using it on the first floor?

If someone could help me what size tanks I would need that would be great.

Thank you!

Sponsored Links
what do you have at the moment ? supplying the hot & cold to multiply outlets at the same time will depend on your incoming mains flow & pressure

It sounds like a normal largish house.
Your biggest problem is water supply. The cold main probably won't have been upgraded so you will probably have a 20-25 litre mains flow into
the house. You need to measure the flow of water at some of the bath taps and see what it is like if you have more than one tap open at once.

20-25 litres is fine for a house not so good if you have 4 people all trying
to run a bath.

You will need to add a 300 litre accumulator to balance out large demands.
I would fit taps with aerators so demand from each tap has less demand and I quite like them.

I would go for an unvented cylinder by acv these are a tank in a tank and although larger have excellent fast recovery rate. You can therefore have a smaller store of water if you can heat it fast enough.

For boilers I would suggest two oil boilers working in a cascade so you have backup should one fail. Together they will reheat the cylinder in minutes.

CBF - Nothing as they are not yet installed!

dcawkwell - I have no gas or oil supply here so it will have to be electric.

thanks.

Sponsored Links
CBF - Nothing as they are not yet installed!

dcawkwell - I have no gas or oil supply here so it will have to be electric.

thanks.

You get an oil tank. Electric is expensive and hotel/bed and breakfast is about keeping costs down. Other possibility is lpg tank.

We were told oil would be too expensive.

We are getting LPG bottles for the cooker.

What do you heat the house with?

Cheapest approx
air source heat
oil
lpg
electric
expensive

I would go for oil heating and hot water with lpg for the cooker.
You could go lpg for it all with bulk tank but the heating will cost more.
The boiler install will cost less.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back