bath / shower mixer advice please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to change my bath taps to a bath / shower mixer set up, preferably a thermostatic one.

I have a downstairs bathroom with gravity fed hot water from the tank on the first floor and mains feed cold water to it.

I know that mixers don't seem to like this combination, is there a mixer available that can accommodate both feeds, or at least give an acceptable shower? I'm sick of having to have baths all the time.

for info: bathroom is 4 rooms back from front of house with concrete floors throughout, so installing electric isnt really a viable option.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
I know you can get a shower mixer valve compatible with gravity / mains combo, but not sure on the bath / shower mixer front. I'msure the shower make is Trevi Boost. You may want to see if the company supplies what you want :)

Is there any possibility of adding a gravity cold water feed from the cold water storage tank down to the bathroom to give balanced feeds?

Some have tried pressure reducing valves / pressure equalising valves on the mains pressure cold feed with varying degrees of success.

not really as the bathroom kitchen are on a separate wing so to speak.

another thought, if i dont change anything, would a normal mixer work better than a thermostatic one or vice versa? my friend has a normal one with a gravity hot feed / mains cold feed and she can shower ok as long as the hot is full on and the cold is on a tiny bit

cheers

Sponsored Links
will sort it myself then.

bathroom has it's own stop cock direct off the mains feed, must have been put in when the wing was built so I will just turn that down, or put a ball valve under the bath.

Hi there,

If the mains supply is only for that bathroom, then I would fit a pressure equalizing valve.

I feel its better than messing with the actual supply trying to get it right.

Do it right first time using the correct parts.

Rico

Hi there,

If the mains supply is only for that bathroom, then I would fit a pressure equalizing valve.

I feel its better than messing with the actual supply trying to get it right.

Do it right first time using the correct parts.

Rico

thanks, I've been looking a them, will probably go for that

"You Know It Makes Sense Rodney."

Just make sure its an equalizing valve and not a reducing valve.

Rico

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back