NEW Hotpoint Integrated Washing Machine electric's sparking!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi our NEW Hotpoint Integrated Washing Machine electric's sparking!

The motor is on the bottom and I can see it slightly sparking looking underneath the machine (kitchen unit plinths not fitted yet)....but when it does another spin it sparks very brightly so if you stand up say 6 feet away you can see the flashing on the floor surface.

Had the engineer from Hotpoint visit today and he said it's just the brushes and normal operation. IS THIS CORRECT?

Just worried that it may start a fire....I can get a mirror and look under the WM and see the sparks just really concerned don't want our new kitchen set on fire.

Can anyone offer any advice and put my mind at rest....our old freestanding Hotpoint didn't have this problem but it was obviously a different model and you could not see inside it!!!

Appreciate any replies.
:confused:

Sponsored Links
so should i get them back???....what damage could occurr if i leave it as it is....will the motor burn out....please help

the motor will not burn out, the comutator might. they do spark a bit this is normal (as i said) its up to you what you want to do.

you could try the m/c a few more times and then see what its like.

Sponsored Links
I think you should follow Breezer's advice. Give it a run for a while to let the brushes bed in. If there is something seriously wrong the machine's performance will be affected (like not spinninng properly). However, you've got 12 months warranty so I wouldn't worry.

All motors spark to some extent especially when they speed up (e.g. spinning). It can look alarming but you normally don't see it as the motors are inside the machine!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back