New house - attached garage conversion / build

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey all. We are in the process of buying a 1930s detached house. Plan is to convert the attached garage into the new kitchen and if possible extend above and put an extra bedroom.

Queries where I wonder if someone could help:

- The garage is approx 5m wide. It has steel beams across the roof - why would this be ?

- The garage appears to have double skin brick. Would this imply the foundations are deep enough to extend (build) above the existing wall ?

- If the foundations are not sufficient to extend above, can I just convert the current garage (complying with BR insulation etc) or would BC not accept that due to foundations (even though its been stood for nearly 100 years) ?

- The roof in knackered and causing some issues. One being the render breaking. Does this look (see pic) look like anything other than damp getting behind the render ?

Attachments

• IMG_2113.JPG
    IMG_2113.JPG
    360.7 KB · Views: 92
Sponsored Links
Would this imply the foundations are deep enough to extend (build) above the existing wall ?

The only way of knowing is to dig out and expose part of it, then see what BC says. Might be unlikely though if it’s 30s

If the foundations are not sufficient to extend above, can I just convert the current garage (complying with BR insulation etc) or would BC not accept that due to foundations (even though its been stood for nearly 100 years) ?

it wouldn’t be part of what the BC would inspect unless anything’s changing that would affect the load on the foundations

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back