Extend and build above garage help

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm wanting to at least build above my current garage if not extend it also. The problem is it is single skin and I converted it last year into a internal playroom so I don't want to pull it down.

I want to know what options I have.

Can I put a second skin around the outside dug to correct foundations and use steel supports.

I would appreciate any help.

Sponsored Links
If it's single skin. and an older house, it is likely that the footings will be minimal.
Usually, it's cheaper to take it down and build from scratch. Trying to underpin the existing footing may not be cost-effective.

I think the over riding problem is that you will need to get your local building control involved and they are going to be sniffy about tying the new and old brickwork together and the thermal performance of the building.
If you are doing the digging and pouring and your labour rates are low! , under pinning the exist foundations would be cheaper then rebuilding the existing garage.
Frank

Sponsored Links
The house is 8 year old. We have garden to 3 sides of it. Can I not just put a second skin round the outside to the correct footings

The house is 8 year old. We have garden to 3 sides of it. Can I not just put a second skin round the outside to the correct footings
If the house is only eight years old there is a good chance the garage footings are to the same depth as the rest of the house. The only way to find out is to dig a trial pit and check.
If the footings are deep enough, you might be able to build a second skin off the existing footing - if the second skin will fit on. The width of the footing would still need to be checked to ensure that the additional load doesn't exceed the allowable bearing pressure.

If they aren't deep enough you won't be able to build a second skin off footings of the correct depth due to issues such as differential movement.

It could be that some steelwork on pad footings could be used to support a second storey, but there will still be some internal disruption.

As Tony says, when the footings aren't up to current regulations, it's usually more cost effective to knock down and start again.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back