New induction hob, seal it in?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, just had a new induction hob fitted.

im guessing this is going to build up with water/debris quite quickly round the sides which I could do without

Assuming I should get this sealed in? But welcome any opinions

Attachments

• IMG_20230204_191414.jpg
    IMG_20230204_191414.jpg
    127.2 KB · Views: 129
  • IMG_20230204_191405.jpg
    IMG_20230204_191405.jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 136
Sponsored Links
I wouldn't bother. You will find that you can slide a J cloth under to clean any muck out.

What happens when he spills his orange juice right ext to the hob or whatever? Ugh! And then any liquids get down the gap and start expanding the inside of the worktop?

What brand hob?
What does the installation instructions say?

My Bosch induction hob, like the Neff ceramic it replaced, came with an attached sealing gasket around the edge. Not felt the need for anything else. It is on a granite worktop, though.

Wood/composite worktop cut edges should always be sealed with something (varnish?) to protect against liquid spills.

Sponsored Links
From the picture I assumed this was some sort of stone. If its laminated chipboard then the hole needs to be sealed.

It should have a rubber seal on the hob that will prevent any water getting through. The cut edge should be sealed.

To clean the muck out you can pop the hob out and give it all a good clean.

Cheers all, it was Currys that fitted it and took the old one and everything else away with them, it's not granite it's a wooden top so I'll get it sealed after all. Appreciate the replies

Go back. He said he had a BX then a Xantia.

As did I.

I loved the BX, a naturally aspirated 1.9 RD. Used to drive through Studentville in Manchester and Stockport and all of them tried to flag me down! Both my BX and my Xantia rolled on a hill. The BX was on my sloping driveway and I went home to pick something up. When I came out, it was blocking the road. Always put it in gear after that.
Until the time I forgot (after a tiring long distance run). When I happed to own a Xantia....

It rolled down a long hill and bumped into a VW Polo at the bottom.

My ins co rang the dealer to ask if it had been serviced as per schedule. "Yes", they said. So they concluded I hadn't put it on tight enough. Would not entertain the well-known design issue Citroen had.

To cap it all off, I had arguments with them about the repairs to the Polo: the Citroen was undamaged and there was no visible damage to the Polo. But they had paid out thousands in repairs, including a new bumper and numberplate, which (in the photos I sent them) were completely undamaged.

I suggested there was some kind of fraud going on between the Polo owner and the "repairing" garage, but that got me nowhere. They're a lot hotter these days when it comes to accepting or refusing claims.
Not at all.
My wife was scammed in a car park and despite the photos and witnesses and her car totally unmarked, they paid out £4900 in less than a month.
I complained to the insurance and they told me that anything below £5k is not investigated because it costs more than pay out.
The scammer had waved at my wife to reverse out of a parking spot, indicated to get in there and then as soon as my wife moved she touched the car bumper to bumper.
She claimed whiplash but continued working in her own shop everyday.
The insurance was not interested.
£4900, thanks!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back