New internal bathroom wall - advice needed please.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I am planning on building a new internal bathroom wall which will give me an extra 700mm in the bathroom. In the hallway I have flat 90 degree walls either side and the wall will be 2100mm long.

My plan is to put the door frame on the left and just screw it into the existing wall. I have concrete floors so plan to remove a trench 100mm and lay the first row of breeze blocks into the trench to secure the base.

What I am not sure about is how to tie them to the existing wall. I was thinking some sort of channel 100mm wide but not been able to find anything like this so far.

Also for width my plan has 100mm wide blocks so I am adding 8mm each side for plasterboard and another 6/8mm for plaster so the door frame would need to be 132mm wide to fit flush. Does this sound right ?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
If you are plasterboarding your guess for plaster is a bit on the thick side I'd say - more like 2-4mm. Why not build a stud wall?

You don't need to dig out a trench in the floor, just lay the blocks off the slab. If using blocks you can plaster the blocks and not use plasterboard.
You could also use 3inch blocks if you require more space. There are various ways to tie in the wall. One of the easiest is to screw in frame cramps to the wall and sit them in the joints of the new wall.

If you are plasterboarding your guess for plaster is a bit on the thick side I'd say - more like 2-4mm. Why not build a stud wall?

Thanks for that. I did think about a stud wall but I am trying to stay sympathetic to the building which has block walls plus as a DIYer it's fun to build block walls. I might also want to build upstairs later so should hopefully help the load.

Will try and find frame camps. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
if you are thinking of building up over your wall it would be best to fit some steel above then put your stud wall under the steel ,then if you decide to remove the wall you can and it will save you time and money in the long run I have been in property refurbishments for over 40 years good luck it will also save you diging footings deep enough to carry the wight of the wall you are going to build

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back