New Jigsaw required

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My mother in law asked me yesterday what the next door neighbour was doing running a machine all day. I said I didn't know and thought nothing of it. Today I went outside for the first time in over a week and found the noise wss coming from my garage!!

Upon opening the door I found my Wickes jigsaw was running. It must have been going for days. Anyway it is knackered. The bearings are now shot and the dust from the motor brushes is everywhere.

To be honest I have never been happy with it. It is the grey one from the professional range and it never seemed to want to cut straight and always had a bias towards wanting to cut left to right. Also the power switch is awkward and obviously faultly as it had not switched off properly and hence it was running for days.

What I am after is a recomendation for a replacement. I am a DIY'er but use this tool a lot and would like a reasonable quality replacement. Any recommendations? I like the look of the Bosch and Makita units particularly. I have a fair number of blades which fitted the Wickes unit so that may be part of my consideration.

Sponsored Links
I'm on my second same model Bosch jigsaw cost about £50 I think. I use it for semi pro work ie hard DIY and its great. The first one just stopped running after 4 years so I binned it and am now on my second.

No problems with these at all and they're quite cheap. Its the model coloured green cant remember the model number.

As plumber I give jiggies a hard time in floorboards, but I also want to be able to cut straight. Bosch (something, BCE?) 100 is horrid but the later ones are OK I believe. DeWalt jigsaw is not good generally. I bought a Hitachi which is a revelation, fantastic thing always does what I need. (just about £100, discount toolshop)

I do have a 350W Bosch one I paid about £40 for 20 years ago. It has done a lot but never had enough power, and is now thoroughly worn!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back