New joists in solid wall brick pockets

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

My floor joists in the front room are rotten from damp rising up the cellar walls. They are 100+ and installed with no DPC protection.

I have decided to cut the old ones out and install new pressure treated joists with DPC on joist ends.

The bricks surrounding the old joists are joined into the wall and cannot be removed without affecting the structure. (Solid wall)

What’s the best way to get the new joists in the pockets? The new joist will obviously be longer than the gap. Will I have to join 2 smaller pieces together? If so whats the best way to do that? Many Thanks

Sponsored Links
Consider cutting out the rotten ends and sistering in the new, or dropping new joists into steel hangars if they are not structural. It would be worth doing a price/time comparison to see which was most cost effective. Treat the damp first or it will come back quicker than you think

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back