new kitchen and is solution switches

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
finally getting to the end of my build. builder is responsible for electrics, I responsible for kitchen install.

during first fix the Sparks laid dedicated circuit for ovens x2 plus draw warmer, a ring for fridge, freezer and a few sockets in cupboards a dedicated wire for the induction hob on island floor and another ring for island sockets. there is also a dedicated line for hot water (boiling) tap and a ring for dish washer. I can only assume these all go back to the consumer unit. rather than being Spurs on the ring.

there are no FCU or isolation switches anywhere yet.

builder has said complete the kitchen and sparks will pull cables up as they need. but surely they need to put some isolation switches in before I screw everything down

any guidance on what best practice looks like? knowing my builder he wants me to finish as an excuse for not being able to do it right.

I would have thought the Sparks would want to do some of this while the kitchen is still moveable carcuses.

any opinion appreciated

Sponsored Links
Most sparks will pull cables up into cabinets and fit sockets or FCUs there.

When spending thousands on a kitchen, cluttering the walls with switches is an eyesore IMO.

I would ideally want carcasses in, work tops not. May then need to pop back for final wiring of hob or other in worktop items.

ok thanks. both very useful. looks like my suspicion is unfounded.

perfectly happy to have any Fcus in the cupboard.

I just read another thread on isolating for a pan fire so may ask for one on the induction hob somewhere.

I'll carry on up to work tops.

Sponsored Links
on an island. any suggestions where this goes best? in the absence of a photo.

it's an island with draws and cupboard one side a central hob and stools bar type thing the other side.

I'm planning to put sockets on the side and underneath the bar top.

No, entirely up to you. Remember it's primarily for emergency use - in a panic - but you'll probably never need it.

thanks. I'll probably get them to shove it on the end then. far enough away from the hob but close enough for the consumer unit not to be closer.

it's a large open plan area, the consumer unit is in a cupboard on the wall behind the kitchen, so if I mounted the switch on the wall where the light switches are, it would be almost pointless as the consumer unit would be right next to it on the other side.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back