New kitchen - decision time

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
So we've knocked out a wall, removed what feels like a million layers of woodchip/wallpaper and played about with kitchen designs and got one that we think we're happy with. We're just about ready to order and I'm suddenly wondering if we've got it right/wrong.

Thoughts

(door to left of sink is pantry, door to right of sink is into utility area, 3/4 unit houses the fridge, full height unit hides the boiler and water meter)

To give you an idea of the rest of the space, this is what it looked like a couple of months ago

Sponsored Links
1 thing i personally do not like about your design is the tallboy cupboard,doesnt make the kitchen flow imo either make it the same hieght throughout or do away and get maybe another tall unit for the fridge/frezer or get an americian jobby.everything else looks good.

I cannot see your ceiling line being as in the drawings with that steel across.
You are going to lose a fair bit if you drop it to follow the underside of the steel.

Just too lazy to draw the beam on the drawings! Beam will be boxed in, ceiling heights are also different between the two rooms (joists are shallower in what was the old kitchen so ceiling 2 inches higher on that side)

Sponsored Links
The only thing I would alter is to fit in an eye level oven.

Would really like an eye level oven but can't find a sensible home for one without too many other compromises

The lighting is wrong.

Beady little spotlights = expensive to install properly, expensive to run, useless at illuminating the room.

We've not actually decided on the lighting yet. We will have spot lights above the work surfaces but they'll just be additional lighting on a separate circuit. Main lights will be something else, although not sure what yet.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back