New Kitchen Installation - Part P Regulations

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I would be grateful for some advice about the new Part P regulations. I am having a new kitchen installed soon and was told that I would have to pay for a Part P upgrade. I am having under cupboard lights, new ceiling lights and some new sockets installed. I was told that Kitchens now have to be on a seperate circuit. Is this true? And if so does this mean running a cable from the kitchen back to the Consumer Unit? My gut feeling tells me yes, and if so, this is not going to be a simple job as the consumer unit is in the garage, but this has been converted into living accomodation and now has a bedroom above it. Am i right in thinking that somehow they would have to get a new cable out of the kitchen and across the extension, which would mean moving furniture, taking up carpets and floorboards. The total distance involved is probably about 6 metres. Would anybody be able to give me rough idea in the cost involved in this, i think i would also need a new consumer unit as i do not have any spare slots. Any help would be very much appreciated.

Sponsored Links
You might not necessarily need new circuits to the CU but it depends on the existing set up, circuit sizes etc.Even if you don't there will more than likely be mess and furniture removal, floors up etc.
A registered electrician doing your work would be the best person to advise you of the exact works involved as there might also be some upgrading necessary eg Earth bond to main water.
As for cost - how long is a piece of string????

jibbsy said:
I ...was told that I would have to pay for a Part P upgrade.
If that is the terminology used then whoever told you is not to be trusted, simply because there is no such thing.

It has long been a requirement of the wiring regulations that circuits must not be modified unless they are intrinsically safe and compliant and that earthing and equipotential bonding are adequate. There is no regulation requiring a separate circuit for kitchens, but it's not a bad idea. Your kitchen sockets will, however, require RCD protection, which may well involve a CU upgrade.

Depending on the age of your property this job could be straightforward or may involve you in a lot of headaches. Get a plan of your porposed kitchen and call in at least three electricians who are registered to self-certify building regulations compliance. Ask their advice, take notes about what they suggest and make sure you are comparing like for like before you accept a quote.

Sponsored Links
I am having a new kitchen fitted and just wanted some1 to confirm a answer above.

I had a new CU Unit fitted when i bought the house 4 years ago 1 with the breaker switches, the electrician that came around wouldn't do any hard wiring he called it for the electic to the extractor fan and the cooker, the cooker btw is a gas cooker so the electric is only for the clock.
I was then told that he couldnt do any (hard wiring) because of the part p regulations that the wiring needed to be on its own circuit and that the CU couldn't support this so i needed a bigger CU with breaker switches, i think i already have the right CU unit
simular to this 1 http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/HGVC204.html

my house is in very good condition the electric in the property are all looked after by british gas and i have had a new rewire when i bought the house cos it needed so much work doing to it that i got that done at the same time.

Please help this is driving me mad.

No post kidnapping allowed, the moderators will smack your hand :rolleyes:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back