New Kitchen and Part P

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I am having my new kitchen wired, and having it checked (presumably part P) by a council approved electrician.
Now I have been told by the person who wires it, (Not part P because I am more likely to win the lottery than find one that has time) to get it approved I need a RCD installed in my consumer unit. unfortunatly the consumer unit is too old to have a RCD installed (But it is new enough to have MCBs)
So what I would like to know, is he trying to get extra money off me by installing a new consumer unit, or is it indeed a requirement. And if it is a requirement is it possible to install a seperate RCD between the Meter and the consumer unit (which should be cheaper)

Thanks Victor

Sponsored Links
Sockets need RCD protection where they would reasonably be expected to provide power for outdoor appliances. So you probably need an RCD for the sockets on the ground floor, for the wiring to be compliant.

Not sure of the ins and outs of whether you need one now though, with regard to re-wires of single rooms. Perhaps someone else can advise.

Protecting the whole house with a 30mA RCD is not a good idea because it only takes a dodgy motor or small current leakage to take your whole house out. Take a pic of the fuse box and surroundings (meter, service fuse) and show us, we might be able to see if you do need a new one. If no photo, what does the fuse box have written on it?

victorvanderzel said:
Hi,

... is it possible to install a seperate RCD between the Meter and the consumer unit (which should be cheaper)...

It is possible, but this is not the best way to do it. You are most likely to have a fault on your lawnmower/hedge clippers (outside) when you cut through the flex, or steam iron/washing machine (=water and electricity) so these sockets need protecting; but it would be very inconvenient if all the lights went out from such a fault. Especially if you happened to be (a) running downstairs (b) up a ladder (c) trying to find the fault and reset it in the dark. It is also possible to fit an RCD in a small enclosure outside the CU, to protect (e.g.) the downstairs ring.

There is a lot to be said for having a new, large split-load consumer unit with plenty of spare capacity rather than tacking on various extras. The material cost of a CU might be less than £100 so probably a small proportion of the labour and inspection costs.

If the person doing your upgrade is not adequately qualified, ask the council to send you the application forms and leaflets on LABC inspection (you might find it more costly and troublesome than you were expecting, and you might want to rethink getting an electrician who is a member of an approved scheme and can issue his own certification).

crafty1289 said:
Perhaps someone else can advise

Crafty, advise (as normal) is spot on.

An option here maybe to install a stand alone RCD protected socket to replace any that can be used outside.

Like Crafty, I would not install one to the whole house unless it was the last resort.

Sponsored Links
Pensdown said:
An option here maybe to install a stand alone RCD protected socket to replace any that can be used outside.

Excellent! the simplest way of protecting a socket that is lilely to be used with equipment outside! The one by the back door, and maybe the one nearest the front door too, I suppose.

Should have thought of that.

JohnD said:
Should have thought of that.

< Has worked with to many cheap skate builders looking to save a few bob on the consumer unit :cry:

Despite having a dedicated outdoor socket and all the downstairs ring main sockets protected by RCD, the NICEIC Area Engineer criticised the cooker circuit supplied socket because he said it 'could be used for portable equipment outside'.
So Nothing is fool proof.

Pensdown said:
< Has worked with to many cheap skate builders looking to save a few bob on the consumer unit :cry:

"Quality is our middle name!"

(however, our first name is "poor")

Qedelec said:
Despite having a dedicated outdoor socket and all the downstairs ring main sockets protected by RCD, the NICEIC Area Engineer criticised the cooker circuit supplied socket because he said it 'could be used for portable equipment outside'.

It's like a driving test, if they can't find a few small items to put on their sheets, they can't sleep at night! In 2004 we had a new engineer as our regular one got promoted to help with the influx of part p applications. You know what they say about new brushes sweeping clean! thankfully, in 2005 he had chilled a bit, much to our relief

Qedelec said:
Smack him round the back of the head with a rolled-up copy of the regs, and invite him to read 471-16-01 where it says "...may reasonably be expected to supply..."

ban-all-sheds said:
Qedelec said:
Smack him round the back of the head with a rolled-up copy of the regs, and invite him to read 471-16-01 where it says "...may reasonably be expected to supply..."

Thats the best advise I've seen on here :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Another option would be to take the ring for the kitchen through a 2 pole rcd inside its own enclosure adjacent to the cu. Done this for showers on old wylex. quite effective and saves changing the cu

james 29 said:
Another option would be to take the ring for the kitchen through a 2 pole rcd inside its own enclosure adjacent to the cu. Done this for showers on old wylex. quite effective and saves changing the cu

No, I think smacking him round the head is the best option. :D

john sorry didnt see it lol

No prisoners if your slightly off the ball on here is there!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back