New Kitchen Location - Drainage Options ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
See diagram below..... Can anyone help with what options I have to connect up with link in with the Septic tank drain please?

I havn't done this before but I would imagine my 3 options are :
1: link into existing manhole
2: build a new manhole over existing pipe
3: Link in to the drain with a 'y' connection.

... 3 would be the easiest to do I quess?

Sponsored Links
Isn't this is in the wrong forum?...
I originally posted it in general but could have been in building I guess... somebody moved it here?

Option three, no question.
Bare in mind it will be fairly deep down.

Just done an extention to mine, that was nearly a meter down at the top of an 11m run.

;)

No - you're in the right place (although building will be able to advise as well). Any changes to drainage requires approval from building control for it's usual fee.

Difficult to see best way of running it, but either to the existing manhole or by creating a new one over the existing run further along. The first is the easier option, since cutting out the existing pipework and inserting a new inspection chamber can be quite difficult. Best to ask BCO for their advice first.

Sponsored Links
:LOL:

No... Its good.

Thanks for your replies, and sorry for the delay - I've busy bodging up elswhere around the house since I asked.

So a 'y' connector it is :D , now for the iffy methods that need clarification please..

Its for a kitchen drain, so, I hape the kitchen waste pipe running to a 'u' open drain above ground, then U/G to connect with the existing sewer.
..this is ceramic , can I join in with a plastic 'Y' ?
...how should I break into the ceramic?... can I drill it & then cold chiesel.
when reinstating do I backfill with a clean gravel layer?

Is there anything else I should remember...

Thanks again

Andy

You can join in with a plastic 'Y' but will need the correct couplings to join it to the clay. 'Flexseal' or similar.

You will need to cut the existing clay pipe carefully with an angle grinder. Drill and chisel is likely to smash the entire section of clay pipe.....

Bed the pipe in peagravel to suitable fall, then cover with peagravel to protect it before backfilling. Keep any large or sharp stones out of the first few inches of soil you put back.

Id suggest you use a bottle type gulley, this will provide rodding access along the pipe from the gulley to the 'Y' should it ever block.

I may be missing something here but if it is only a 40mm kitchen waste can you not run it external or internal to your existing drain gulley?

Pete

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back