New kitchen sink = no hot water

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I replaced my kitchen sink and tap today, a fairly problem free plumbing job ...... However after checking for leaks I ran the hot water and it seems to cycle between luke warm and cold but never gets hot.

I have opened all the taps to make sure there is no air in the system but still not hot water.

The only difference is that previously I had seperate hot and cold taps and have replaced with a mixer. I have isolated hot and cold supplies to the new kitchen tap but still no hot water to the bathroom.

Could the mixer tap somehow have damaged my Vaillant combi boiler?

Sponsored Links
An update on my problem ...

After a while it is possible to get hot water. i.e the shower was working fine this morning. However when the hot water has been turned off and then on again, the water is only lukewarm. I seems we have to leave it a while before we can get hot water again.

I'm baffled as to how just changing a tap could have caused this. Any ideas?

The mixer tap can send cold mains back up to the combi through the hot pipework and completely screw it up.

Put a check valve on the hot pipe to the mixer tap and see what that does.

Thanks Paul,

I have closed off the cold supply to the tap so no cold water can be getting back to the boiler now. It seems that the damage whatever it is has now been done. I'm guessing that the divertor valve in the boiler has been damaged.

However it seems to work ok the first time hot water is drawn, but try it again later and it doesn't work. Maybe the valve is sticking?

Sponsored Links
These boilers have problems with the diverter valves. Open the hot tap fully and check the left hand 22mm pipe under the boiler doesn't get hot.

Replaced the diverter valve today and now have loads of hot water.
Thanks for all the replies.

My only concern is why replacing the kitchen tap caused this or maybe it was just co-incidence?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back