New kitchen sockets .. SP or DP ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am buying new double sockets to replace the previous ones after a kitchen refurb, before the electrician comes tomorrow

I thought it would be a simple task, just pick the colour and that would be it.

I see there are SP and DP options for most, if not all sockets.

I did a quick search on t'internet, so now know what SP and DP mean and do (I think .. I'm not an electrician) but still not too sure which ones are most suitable for a kitchen environment.

Any help would be appreciated.

BTW, they will be metal clad front plates if that is important.

thanks !

Sponsored Links
It doesn't really matter for a kitchen. Double pole isolates the Neutral as well as the Live. Just make sure it's a quality brand since you will be using higher currents in the kitchen rather than a TV or lamp.

Sponsored Links
That site is just an accumulator for Amazon. Just like on most other occasions when you search for "the best______", it's an accumulator that pops up, all links to Amazon.

Google is not ALWAYS your friend! (duckduckgo is much betterer though)

Nozzle

@danechip is right, does not really matter for a kitchen, where it helps having double pole is when a line - neutral fault is causing a RCD to trip, but once fitted it is unlikely you can remember which are and aren't double pole so you unplug anyway.

Most electricians have their favourite, with some sockets having more terminal space to others, if an electrician is fitting them let him also supply them, it also helps with guarantee, if supplied and fitted no argument if it fails down to electrician, if supplied by you and fault is the socket, then electrician can charge to change it.

@danechip is right, does not really matter for a kitchen, where it helps having double pole is when a line - neutral fault is causing a RCD to trip
As you go on to say, it's essentially irrelevant in the case of a socket (which is what we are talking about) since, if DP 'isolation' is required, one simply pulls out the plug!

Although they are quite common (and, presumably, a little more expensive to make), I struggle to think of any advantage in having a DP switch in a socket.

Kind Regards, John

It doesn't really matter for a kitchen. Double pole isolates the Neutral as well as the Live.

What room would you use DP sockets in ?

Personally I would use them in a room with wet devices. e.g. Kettle, WC, DW etc (but pointless for under counter sockets)

What room would you use DP sockets in ? Personally I would use them in a room with wet devices. e.g. Kettle, WC, DW etc (but pointless for under counter sockets)
Why?

If the socket is 'above counter' and some problem arises which could be 'cured' by switching the neutral, then, if it were only a SP switch one would surely just pull the plug out?

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back