New Kitchen

I'm pretty sure you can temporarily remove fittings. The Part P regs apply to kitchens when installing new circuits, not changing fittings/socket plates on existing stuff.

However, I wouldn't recommend you remove anything unless you're 100% sure you are competent to do so. I work for a building services firm as a mechanical project engineer so have plenty of guidance on the practical side of things and help with the electrical side too!

As for turnig the electricicty off, the guy I used didn't bother. Whether other plasterers would I don't honestly know.

Sponsored Links
Well the walls are painted, the floor is done and the units are assembled.

Tomorrow my best mate who is also a very fine Joiner is coming to do the worktops which means fingers crossed, by Monday, we'll ahve done the wall tiles too.

Then get the electrician back to connect up the new circuits in the spare room floor void, the CORGI chap to connect the hob (and commission my new boiler if I can ever get it filled) fit the doors and my wife can start making some decent grub (I think I'm turning into a microwave meal!).

Latest pics,

20080903_0215.jpg

Hole? What hole??

20080903_0213.jpg

My make-shift worktop (9.5mm plasterboard!!)

20080903_0212.jpg

20080903_0214.jpg

I know it's been a while since my last post, but was really busy getting finished and also had a holiday to cram in!!

Had a NIGHTMARE with the worktops; 1st 2 went in great and then we unwrapped the 3rd only to find it had been bashed right down the length of the front edge and couldn't be used. Whoever bashed it had then re-packaged it (i.e. the packaging wasn't damaged). Long story short, Homebase weren't interested as it had been more than 30 days since delivery so they said we could get a new one, but it would take 4 - 6 weeks to arrive! Not good.

After ringing round every, and I mean every Homebase in the North of England I found a woman on Gumtree who was trying to get rid of the exact worktops we have put in!! The only downside was that she was in Edinburgh and I live in Lancashire. After being lied to by Homebase Bradford (who told us they could get us one within a week and then once we'd ordered it giving a delivery date 4 weeks from the time of order) we bit the bullet and headed up to Edinburgh. We had to cut it to get it in the car, but we managed. My star of a mate then said he'd come round that night (we set off at 8am and were back by 5pm!!) to finish the 'tops which he did and they look :cool: .

Pretty much finshed now. All the tiling is done and grouted. The decorative socket plates and light switches are on and got 75% of the under-cupboard lighting working!

More pics to come soon when I get our holiday snaps off the camera and do some final touching up jobs.

The biggest pain (apart from the worktops) was a problem with the heating system, which meant we only got the heating back on (since I took the old boiler down in June) in late September (brr).

Sponsored Links
great - any pics of the finished and have you had a hot meal yet ?
I am still at stage 1 - need to plaster ceiling and half the room - get elec to move sockets etc - level floor -argh
It's just the thought of microwave meals that deter me - the plasterer suggested using plaster board not plaster not sure about that.

But I have got a boiler ! View media item 3869

I take it he's on about dry-lining the room then?

It depends on what finish you're after really and what type of decoration you plan to do. We were painting our walls therefore I wanted the finish to be as near to perfect as possible, plus we were going to need the ceiling and the new stud wall plastering so we bit the bullet and got it all plastered!

That picture takes me back to where we were a few months ago. I still haven't got the extractor chimney mounted yet so haven't taken any final pictures yet. Will post them as soon as I can to give you a bit of encouragement!!!

I know it's been nearly a year since my last post on this (rest assured it was finished in November 2008, however I haven't got round to taking any decent phots with everything done, until now!

20091003_0371.jpg

20091003_0372.jpg

20091003_0373.jpg

20091003_0374.jpg

To say the only things I didn't do was the plastering, wiring and worktops, I think I did pretty decent job!

nice to see it finsihed am way behind you - guess i should have used vinyl flooring too as now stuck on flooring but looks better than my last post at least i have walls and a ceiling and no wires dangling about but i did not do that myself though

We used tiles on our floor.

The floor tiling was one of the more straight forward jobs as the sub floor was nice and level. Laying the whole tiles only took a few hours, it was getting the edge tiles that need to be cut that took time. You might not be able to see from the pics, but the wall the Dining Table is pressed up against is diagonal so all the cuts had to be made with an angle grinder which pi$$ed my neighbours off no end as I was at until 9pm. A bottle of wine and a bunch of flowers sorted them out though!!!

The grouting was hard too as we had to order some special coloured grout to match the tiles. I mixed the grout on a Sunday morning following a very heavy night out and put too much water in the initial mix so I had to mix all the grout we had. Me and the father-in-law set a record for speed grouting I think!!!

Looks good Bon.

I'd be proud too if I'd done that.
Where did you put your boiler in the end?

It's directly above where it was, in the airing cupboard in our spare room.

We were having a new supply put in for the immersion on our new cylinder and the gas and flow and return pipework ran from the cupboard into the kitchen so it was easy enough to sort out.

Core drilling the 4" hole for the flue was git of a job though, even from a scaffold!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back